The Serengeti in Tanzania is one of the most famous wildlife reserves in the world, always a popular choice for an Africa safari, and it has captured even more hearts in with the BBC's Serengeti documentary, giving us a glimpse into the lives of the animals like lions, hyenas and baboons that call the vast Serengeti home.
The abundance of wildlife in the Serengeti makes for incredible game viewing.
On the open, grassy savannah, antelope species include eland, Grant’s and Thomson’s gazelles, topi and hartebeest. In the denser bush and acacia of the central Serengeti, leopard sightings are among the best in Africa, and cheetahs and lions are often found lolling in the sun. In the rivers, hippos and crocodiles lurk, breaching the surface and offering exciting glimpses of their power and strength.
Africa's Serengeti is a highlight for any traveller to this wonderful continent, the perfect stop on a journey around Tanzania's northern circuit or a destination for a Tanzania safari in its own right.
The game is plentiful year-round, and of course we cannot forget one of the most incredible natural phenomena in the world: The Great Migration
The Great Migration in Tanzania
From December to July, vast herds of wildebeest and zebra gather in columns up to 40km long for the triangular trek from Tanzania to Kenya in search of fresh grazing pastures
December – March
The wildebeest give birth on the lush plains of southern Serengeti. Ndutu Lodge, Serengeti Serena, Mbuzi Mawe and the lodges at Ngorongoro Crater - &Beyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Ngorongoro Serena Lodge and Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge - are well located. Seasonal mobile camps are set up in the Ndutu and Moru Kopies area.
April – June
As the grazing thins, the animals migrate west through the central Serengeti, towards the Grumeti River. Kirawira, Mbalageti Serengeti, &Beyond Grumeti Serengeti Tented Camp and the seasonal mobile camps are all perfectly positioned.
July – August
September – November
The herds are in Kenya’s Masai Mara, where they remain until the end of October. It is the dry season, when game viewing in Tanzania's Tarangire National Park is at its best.
Combine a safari in the best of Tanzania’s northern parks with tracking gorilla in Rwanda for an exceptional game and gorilla experience. This 10 day safari holiday includes visits to Lake Manyara National Park, a full day in Ngorongoro Crater and game viewing on the plains of the central Serengeti. You will have a private vehicle and driver-guide for the duration of your safari for an exclusive w...
- View Huge Herds Of Elephant In Tarangire National Park
- See Tree Climbing Lions In Lake Manyara National Park
- Two Days On Safari In Central Serengeti
- Witness The Migration Of Millions Of Wildebeest
- Marvel At Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's Highest Peak
- Witness An Abundance Of Bird Life At Lake Manyara
- Game Drives In Serengeti National Park
- Explore The Natural Amphitheatre of Ngorongoro Crater
Located in the western Serengeti, &Beyond’s flamboyant Grumeti Serengeti Tented Camp is an exclusive camp on the banks of a bywater of the Grumeti River. It has the prime position for watching mammoth crocodiles prey on wildebeest crossing the river (seasonal).‘Big Five’ and other game species are resident year round. Set beneath thatched canopies, the ten luxury tents are extrav...
Formerly known as Sayari South, Dunia Camp is ideally located for the wildebeest migration from December to March and the most comfortable mobile tented camp in the Moru Kopjes area of the south-central Serengeti.LocationBetween Ndutu and Seronera, the Moru Kopjes is probably the most scenic area of the Serengeti. Fantastic rock formations emerge from the endless plains, delighting the eye and pr...
Set in a grove of acacia trees, Ikoma Bush Camp is just outside the Serengeti National Park in the western corridor, which gives the added advantage of being able to offer night drives and nature walks after full day’s game viewing.This traditional bush camp is rustic, but perfectly comfortable, with 31 Meru-style tents under thatch with verandah, electric lighting, shower, flush loo and han...
Found in the remote east corner of the Serengeti, Namiri Plains promises to be an incredible safari experience.Until opening in the summer of 2014, the area surrounding Namiri Plains was closed to visitors for the past 20 years creating a safe haven for cheetahs and a big cat population. Namiri Plains was created for safari enthusiasts looking for superb comfort in a true wilderness which has been...
- Visit Tanzania's Four northern Parks
- See elephants in Tarangire
- Flamingoes and tree climbing lions in Lake Manyara
- Resident game and the migration in the Serengeti
On this 7-night fly-in safari, you stay at the finest lodges in spectacular locations. Stunning accommodation, sumptuous food and superb game viewing are the keynotes here and this trip makes a perfect romantic break. Short flights between locations maximise the time available for game viewing. Game drives are in lodge vehicles, so you benefit from the guides' local knowledge. Safari vehicles ...
- Three incredible safari destinations
- Wonderful wildlife at Ngorongoro Crater
- Tree climbing lions at Lake Manyara
- Namiri Plains, an exclusive part of Serengeti
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours