Some of Our Nicaragua Holiday Ideas
Highlights of Nicaragua & Panama
Nicaragua and Panama are relatively unknown Latin American countries, but they are well worth exploring, in part for this very reason. Our 12-day itinerary visits Panama City and the Panama Canal and then on to the beautiful beaches of Bocas del Toro, a Caribbean archipelago of lush vegetation and ancient traditions. In Nicaragua you can explore the colonial town of Granada, relax in volcanic beau...
Central American Journey
- Panama City & the Canal
- Charming Antigua
- Imposing Arenal Volcano
- Spectacular Lake Atitlán
Best Time To Visit Nicaragua
Quick Country Facts
Time Zone:GMT -6 hours
Why visit Nicaragua?
Granada and León are Nicaragua’s two most attractive cities, with well-preserved examples of Spanish colonial architecture. Granada is on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, where the focal point is Ometepe, an island dominated by the two volcanoes, that is reached by boat from San Jorge, about an hour south of Grenada. León is some 90 km northwest of Managua and has the largest cathedral in Central America.
Away from the cities, in the northern highlands, the coffee region offers a fascinating insight into the industry where visitors stay in simple rooms, on real working coffee farms.
On the Pacific coast, San Juan del Sur has good hotels, restaurants and beach bars, with smaller quiet beaches along the coast. In the Caribbean Sea, 50 miles northeast of Bluefields, the Corn Islands offer visitors real Creole culture and beautiful beaches. There are two islands – Big Corn Island and Little Corn Island - with native palms and white sand beaches. These are almost forgotten Caribbean islands and whilst tourism here is in its infancy, a few days here can be included in most Nicaragua holidays.
We tailor-make all our holidays to Nicaragua and many visitors choose to visit Panama as part of a multi-country trip that show cases two of the lesser visited countries of the region, both rich in scenic beauty, colonial gems and dazzling beaches.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours