Some of Our Peru Holiday Ideas
Wonders of Peru Holiday
- Take the train to discover the ancient Inca ruins of Machu Picchu
- Soak up the historic atmosphere of the Santa Catalina convent in Arequipa
- Watch out for soaring condors in the Colca Canyon
- Visit the indigenous people who live on the floating reed islands at Lake Titicaca
- Famous Inca ruins of Machu Picchu, by scenic train
- Andean culture in the Sacred Valley
- Vibrant Miraflores district of Lima
- Cobbled streets and historic buildings of Cuzco
Wonders of South America
- Scenic train journey to Machu Picchu
- Ride the cable car for spectacular views of La Paz
- Wonder at the 275 separate falls at Iguazu
- Meander the cobbled streets of Cuzco
Best Time To Visit Peru
Quick Country Facts
Time Zone:GMT -5 hours
Currency:Peruvian Nuevo Sol
Why visit Peru?
There are numerous wonders to discover when you explore Peru. With a tailor-made itinerary, you can see bucket list highlights, such as Machu Picchu and the Peruvian Amazon, as well as lesser known historic and natural wonders. Combine your trip with other Latin American countries for a longer adventure - you could combine it Bolivia with a journey to Lake Titicaca, Iguazu Falls in Argentina or Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
Explore mysterious Incan ruins
Most holidays to Peru either start or finish with Machu Picchu, Peru’s most spectacular archaeological site. Skip the crowds on the Inca trail and instead head for the high altitude ruins via the Salkantay Trail. Not only will enjoy a little more solitude but you’ll pass through lowland jungle and vaporous cloud forest, as well as enjoying views over the immense, snow-capped peaks of the Vilcabamba Range. The best part? There are so many, but it’s hard to beat the thrill of catching a glimpse of this ancient wonder amid the towering green peaks for the first time. Machu Picchu grabs the headlines but Peru is thick with lesser explored Incan ruins. Don’t miss a trip to Sacsayhuaman, a colossal complex just outside of the ancient Incan capital at Cuzco.
Lakes, jungles and wildlife galore
The Peruvian Amazon, a vast mass of rainforests and wetlands, offers plenty of opportunities to have close encounters with local wildlife. Take to the Amazon River at Iquitos to find Peru’s famed pink dolphins dancing alongside your kayak and all manner of monkeys (capuchins, howlers, squirrels) in the canopy above you as wind through the water. Venture deeper into the forest on guided walks to villages for a glimpse of traditional life, learn about the medicinal value of indigenous plants or follow tributaries in dug-out canoes to spot sloth, rare birds, butterflies, snakes and pumas.
The best Peru holidays
To cover off Peru’s star draws and more besides, opt for Rainbow Tours’ Treasures of Peru tour with time spent in Lima, Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca. Embark on a jungle adventure on the Gourmet Peru and Amazon in Style tour to discover Peru’s diverse flora and fauna and learn about tribal traditions, all the while enjoying the exotic and indigenous flavours of Peru on your luxurious riverboat. If you want to see more than Machu Picchu, seek out some of the country’s lesser-known sites on the Northern Routes of Peru & Beach tour including vast abode city of Chan Chan and the Sun and Moon Temples of Valle de Moche.
What Our Clients SayRead More Reviews
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours