The foremost city of the Inca Empire and at an altitude of 3399m, Cuzco is one of South America’s most enchanting cities. A UNESCO World Heritage Site; it is home to a wealth of well-preserved colonial architecture and evidence of a rich and complex history. Many Spanish colonial buildings sat directly atop of Inca walls line the streets. Surrounded by the lofty peaks of the Andes, Cuzco is the gateway to Machu Picchu and the fertile Sacred Valley.
The main square or the Plaza de Armas is the centre point of the city, flanked by the imposing cathedral and the ornate church of La Compañia de Jesus. Overlooking the city are the ruins of Sacsayhuaman; a temple-fortress complex showcasing some of the most impressive Incan architecture. Wander up to the bohemian neighbourhood of San Blas and find one of Cuzco’s most atmospheric, arty areas characterised by narrow cobbled streets, handicraft shops and art galleries.
There are many beautiful hotels to choose from within Cuzco, many set in original colonial buildings with lots of charm and character and some even built on the original Inca foundations. We would be happy to advise you on our favourites to suit you and your budget.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours