Suggested Tours for Costa Rica
Costa Rica for Families
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Atmospheric Monteverde cloud forest
- Canopy Zipline trails
- Family adventure at Hacienda Guachipelin
Costa Rica Wildlife Explorer
- Hike the Tenorio Volcano region
- See the turquoise waters of the Rio Celeste
- Chance to spot Great Green Macaws at the Boca Tapada Region
- OTS La Selva wildlife Reserve
Costa Rica Highlights
- Tortuguero's canals and waterways
- Hike on the Arenal Volcano
- Bathe in Thermal hot springs
- Take a night walk in the Cloudforest
Rainbow Costa Rica Specialist
Kristen's reviewChances are high that you’ve heard enthusiastic reports from a friend or family member who’s visited; Costa Rica is probably Central America’s most popular tourist destination – and for good reason. With over half the country covered in rainforest, a variety of different microclimates and over 70 national parks, Costa Rica is a haven for wildlife enthusiasts and adventure seekers alike. While there are some amazing coastline and wild beaches, it’s essential to delve into the interior to truly experience what the country has to offer. From rolling savannahs in the Guanacaste region to mist-covered mountains in Monteverde, the landscapes are as diverse as they are beautiful. You can observe sloths, toucans, monkeys and sea turtles, explore pristine cloud forests and traverse suspension bridges amid treetops all in one country – it’s diverse ecosystem truly setting it apart. The beauty of Costa Rica, however, goes beyond its landscapes; it extends to the country's commitment to conservation and sustainability. As it’s at the forefront of ecotourism, you can learn about Costa Rica’s efforts surrounding wildlife protection with guides, lodges and tour companies. Their hard work helps achieve levels of sustainability certifications seen in few other destinations.
Kristen's Top Tips
- There’s no need to wander far for wildlife experiences! During my trip, I awoke to the sounds of howler monkeys through my screen sided bungalow and observed sloths in the trees on hotel grounds
- Visit the famous Tabacon hot springs near the Arenal Volcano! The underground network of volcanic waters feeds the springs, which provides a surefire way to achieve proper relaxation
- White water rafting is incredible! Although I didn’t know what to expect when signing myself up for the Pacuare River’s grade IV rapids, I was pleasantly surprised by how exhilarating it was
Best Time To Visit Costa Rica
Quick Country Facts
Time Zone:GMT -6 hours
Currency:Costa Rican Colon
Why visit Costa Rica?
Small but mighty, a holiday to Costa Rica has the sort of scenery that drops jaws.
You'll find picture-perfect beaches, pristine rainforests, steaming hot springs and smouldering volcanoes. It’s a landscape that has helped Costa Rica holidays become a first choice for adventure and nature-lovers alike. Head to the incredible Monteverde cloud forest to meet native wildlife, discover the once active volcano of Arenal or enjoy some thrills along the white water of the Pacuare river. As a pioneer of eco-tourism, Costa Rica offers some stunning places to stay, where you can enjoy the peace immersed in the landscape - plus, enjoy some of the best locally-sourced food.
Adventure in Costa Rica
- spider monkeys,
- howler monkeys and
- three-toed sloths
The rope bridges and walkways tied between the treetops offer a rare chance to get a little closer to the animals. So if you're looking for a Costa Rican wildlife holiday, then this is definitely a must see.
Always fancied getting up close to a volcano? Follow hiking trails up and around the foothills of Arenal, once Costa Rica’s most active volcano, before soaking your weary feet in volcanic hot springs. For yet more of a soaking, head to the Pacuare River to go white water rafting down the deep river gorge – you’ll be plummeting through lush primary rainforest, although you’ll not have much time to take in the view as you tackle the swirling rapids.
Walk on the wild side
More animals await along Costa Rica’s Caribbean and Pacific coastlines, including humpback whales and dolphins. The highlight, however, is on the sands of Tortuguero National Park. Visit from July to October and you’ll witness green turtles come ashore to lay eggs in their droves at what’s their most important nesting habitat in the western hemisphere. The park itself is a haven for wildlife and a boat trip along its jungle-fringed canals and lagoons will reveal alligators, tapirs, peccaries, iguana, anteaters and white faced monkeys.
Whether you want to explore the natural world with the whole family or encounter rare species with just a few other travellers.
Choose the tailor-made itinerary that's right for you.
What Our Clients SayRead More Reviews
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours