San Jose, Costa Rica's largest city and cultural capital, today it is a sprawling metropolis. Sitting in the Central Valley region, the city offers a range of comfortable hotels and provides a good base to explore nearby volcanoes, coffee plantations, national parks and rainforests. Surrounded by the Central Mountain range and set within a valley, San Jose boasts a dramatic backdrop. T
he city itself is a pleasant mix of modern and Spanish colonial architecture and several interesting museums, art galleries, boutiques and restaurants can be visited.
Mountains and volcanoes enclose the Central Valley of Costa Rica in a geographical cradle to form the country’s cultural and geographical base. You’ll find that the climate here is milder and less humid than on the country's coasts due to its higher altitude. Highlights of the area include the Poas Volcano, with its spectacular crater lake and surrounding cloud forest, the Braulio Carillo National Park, several coffee plantations (ideal for sampling one of Costa Rica's biggest exports!) and exotic flora at the Lankester Gardens.
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Atmospheric Monteverde cloud forest
- Canopy Zipline trails
- Family adventure at Hacienda Guachipelin
- Taste fresh coffee in the Central Valley
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Wildlife rich Osa Peninsula
- Stunning Pacific Coast beaches
- Breathtaking landscape of the Central Valley
- Abundant wildlife in Corcovado National Park
- Cross spectacular Lake Arenal
- Pristine Pacific beaches
- Spectacular views in Arenal
- Secluded Pacific beaches
- Eco-luxury lodge in the cloud forest
- Observe specials such as the endangered Great green macaw, the spectacular Resplendant quetzal and rare Volcano hummingbird
- Explore San Gerardo de Dota mountains for montane rainforest-dwelling species
- Visit tropical lowlands on the Nicaragua border
- Explore Maquenque Nature Reserve
Surrounded by 10 acres of lush tropical gardens, Hotel Bougainvillea is just 30 minutes from San Jose yet located in a charming, peaceful area called Santo Domingo de Heredia.This region has kept its rural charm, with colonial adobe houses and beautiful churches. The hotel offers 81 rooms offering a view towards the Central Valley and the surrounding mountains or the beautiful colourful gardens.Di...
Rancho Naturalista is set at an altitude of between 2528 and 3850ft (766 and 1167m) on the Caribbean slopes of the Talamanca Mountains and is a wonderful destination for bird watchers, hikers, photographers and naturalists.The lodge has a lovely warm, relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff. The main building is decorated in a traditional Spanish colonial style with a relaxing sitting area, dining ...
The Selva Verde eco lodge is located very close to the lowlands in the north east of Costa Rica, the area of Sarapaqui.The actual private reserve of Selva Verde Rainforest protects more than 500 acres of land and has been identified as a key area in the San Juan Biological Corridor which stretches from southern Mexico to Panama.The river lodge has forty rooms set in four blocks, each accommodating...
Finca Rosa Blanca is a friendly boutique eco-resort set within a coffee farm plantation in Costa Rica’s Central Valley, only 25 minutes from the international airport. All the rooms are individually designed and have a Jacuzzi bath along with spectacular views. There is a strong emphasis on sustainability here and a tour of the coffee farm is available. The Restaurant offers classic Costa Rican fo...
Marriott San Jose is a hacienda styled hotel set on a coffee plantation with elegant gardens and colonial style.Having been voted as one of the best hotels in Central America and Mexico by Condé Naste, the Marriott is a great choice for your stay in San Jose.There are 299 rooms and suites equipped with lovely bed linens and a good level of in-room amenities such as; complimentary bottled wa...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours