Rancho Naturalista is set at an altitude of between 2528 and 3850ft (766 and 1167m) on the Caribbean slopes of the Talamanca Mountains and is a wonderful destination for bird watchers, hikers, photographers and naturalists.
The lodge has a lovely warm, relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff. The main building is decorated in a traditional Spanish colonial style with a relaxing sitting area, dining areas and a birding balcony where over 250 species have been recorded.
Most of the rooms have views towards the forest or the Turrialba and Irazu volcanoes and are either located within the main building. The casitas, located near the main building have more privacy, with similar majestic news.
Rancho Naturalista is recognised for its excellent, well prepared food served family style allowing you to make your own selection. All meals are included with your stay and the hotel also has its own pure mountain spring water.
Aside from birding choose from a variety of excursions including white water rafting, hiking, canyoning, zip-lining, hiking or relax with a massage or swim in a mountain stream.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Observe specials such as the endangered Great green macaw, the spectacular Resplendant quetzal and rare Volcano hummingbird
- Explore San Gerardo de Dota mountains for montane rainforest-dwelling species
- Visit tropical lowlands on the Nicaragua border
- Explore Maquenque Nature Reserve
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours