Suggested Tours for Honduras
The Mayan World
- Tikal & its towering temples
- Copan - the Paris of the Mayan World
- Yaxchilan & Bonampak - Deep in the Jungle
- Jungle shroud Palenque
Best Time To Visit Honduras
Quick Country Facts
Time Zone:GMT -6 hours
Why visit Honduras?
History comes to light in Honduras. Stumble upon beautiful Mayan archaeological sites and admire the temples and pyramids of past civilisations. You can also witness the beauty of nature, from Pico National Park to the Bay Islands and the dense swathes of rainforest. Combine your trip with a stop in Guatemala or Belize - or, simply enjoy this little-visited country by itself for an unusual adventure.
One of the most popular Mayan sites in Central America is to be found at Copan, almost on the border with Guatemala. Thought to have been the Mayan’s most important city in their southern realm, the site consists of stone temples, two large pyramids, several plazas and a ball court. The stone monuments (stelae) here are the most intricate and sophisticated of any Mayan site and the museum has a fantastic recreation of how a pyramid may have looked in its heyday. The nearby town of Copan Ruinas is a pretty, well-preserved colonial town with good hotels. We’d recommend that all holidays to Honduras include a guided visit to Copan and if you are touring Guatemala, its an easy diversion to include Copan.
Further north towards the coast at La Ceiba is the celebrated Pico Bonito National Park, named after the mountain whose peak dominates the area. Lying just off this north coast are the beautiful Bay Islands, where the main island is Roatan. Here the diving is some of the best in the Caribbean and is also some of the best value.
For those who want to seek out emerging, off-the-beaten track destinations, there are several areas starting to develop simple facilities for tourists, which we can recommend as part of tailor-made Honduras holidays. These include Utila in the Bay Islands, Lake Yojoa, Comayagua and the dense rainforest of the Mosquitia coast in Gracias a Dios district.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours