The Bay Islands are a relaxed beach paradise, home to pristine white sandy beaches, a diverse and unique coral reef system, heartwarming people, unique cultures and authentic Caribbean charm. Known best for their excellent diving and beaches, these islands can easily be reached by a short flight from Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba as well as by international weekly flights via the USA and make the perfect place to take a beach break.
The three main islands of the Bay Islands are Utila, Guanaja and Roatan. The largest and most developed of these is Roatan that also offers the best selection of charming and comfortable accommodation. This beautiful tropical island is 50 km long but only 2-4 kms wide and is surrounded by some 100 kms of coral reefs offering some of the best and most accessible snorkelling in Central America. The island has lush tropical scenery, rolling hills and fascinating Garifuna fishing villages and is worthy of discovery after you have exhausted all the recreation possibilities offshore such as diving, sailing, fishing or kayaking.
Diving is also excellent from the island of Utila which offers some of the best value diving in all of Central America. As yet, accommodation options here are very basic but are perfect for those who wish to discover off the beaten track destinations and don't mind leaving luxury hotels behind. All in all, the Bay Islands are one of the Caribbean's best kept secrets.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours