This is Honduras' largest national park and home to the country's highest point, Pico Bonito. Covering over 100,000 hectares of virgin rain and cloud forest, with a largely unexplored area of over 500 square km, Pico Bonito National Park is a spectacular landscape of mountains, waterfalls and hundreds of wildlife species.
Seven different ecosystems fill its borders, providing homes to jaguars, tapirs, monkeys, alligators and over 275 different species of birds. The Rio Cangrejal, one of Honduras’ most beautiful and powerful rivers, forms the eastern border of the park and thrilling white-water rafting has now become a popular activity in this area. The Park also offers excellent bird watching (over 325 species identified in the area), swimming under the waterfalls and hiking on trails up the river valleys into the thick of the rain forest.
Reach the lodges located in this area via a flight to La Ceiba and then short road transfer. You will be enthralled by this lush tropical landscape with its wealth of flora and fauna and then continue from La Ceiba across to the Bay islands for some relaxation by the beach or top-class diving as a wonderful contrast the the dense forests of Pico Bonito.
To plan your holiday to Pico Bonito National Park, call our Latin America specialists today for more information.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours