- Observe specials such as the endangered Great green macaw, the spectacular Resplendant quetzal and rare Volcano hummingbird
- Explore San Gerardo de Dota mountains for montane rainforest-dwelling species
- Visit tropical lowlands on the Nicaragua border
- Explore Maquenque Nature Reserve
- Accommodation Throughout
- Car Hire
Costa Rica in Central America is home to one of the highest levels of biodiversity in the world.
This small country delivers unparalleled opportunities for birding, with more than 900 species spread over 27% of protected land.
This 12- night tour takes in a diverse range of environments; experience the pristine nature of Costa Rica from the crisp mountain air of San Gerardo de Dota to the lush tropical forest in the northern lowlands near the Nicaragua border. The cloud forest of San Gerardo de Dota is a popular area to spot the national bird of Costa Rica, the Resplendent Quetzal, with its characteristically long, iridescent-green tail.
Spot a host of endemics such as the White-throated Mountain Gem hummingbird, the localised Volcano Hummingbird, Collared redstart and the Black-cheeked Warbler. In complete contrast, Sarapiqui is hot and humid with dense trails, a protected area of great importance. Some of the stunning tropical species can be sighted include bright and charismatic Keel-billed Toucans, Great Green Macaws, Wood Thrushes, Grey-necked Woodrails, amazing Sun Bitterns and hummingbirds such as Violet-crowned Woodnymphs.
This bird-watching holiday finishes in the remote area of Boca Tapada, where you'll search for the endangered Great green macaw in the Maquenque eco preserve.
With such a diversity of species and their natural habitats within a small area, Costa Rica is truly a birdwatchers paradise.
Day 1 London - San Jose
Day 2 San Jose - San Gerardo de Dota
Day 3 San Gerardo de Dota
Day 4 San Gerardo de Dota - Turrialba
Day 5 Turrialba - Rancho Naturalista
Day 6 Turrialba - Selva Bananito
Day 7 Selva Bananito
Day 8 Selva Bananito - Sarapiqui
Day 9 Sarapiqui
Day 10 Sarapiqui - Boca Tapada
Day 11 Boca Tapada
Day 12 Boca Tapada - San Jose
Day 13 San Jose - London
- Return International Flights as per the itinerary
- All airport taxes and security charges
- Accommodation and meals as specified
- Transfers as specified
- Activities and excursions as specified
- All entrace fees on sightseeing tours as specified
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals not specified in the itinerary
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional excursions
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours