The spectacular Arenal Volcano standing at 1633m lies in the northern highlands of Costa Rica. The perfectly conical volcano lay dormant until July 1968, when huge explosions blew its top off and until recently it was considered the most active volcano in Central America. Although no longer offering periodic eruptions and nightly lava shows; it is a tremendous peak to catch a glimpse of when the clouds lift.
As well as serving up wonderful views of the volcano, the surrounding area of La Fortuna offers some great adventure activities. Considered the adventure capital, visitors can enjoy volcano hikes, canopy walkways, thrilling zip line rides, hiking, biking and white-water rafting.
After a hard day of excitement, relax under the stars in the numerous hot volcanic springs in the area. Nature lovers don't miss the Cano Nego Wildlife Refuge, a wetland area close to the Nicaraguan border and easily accessed from Arenal, this is considered one of Costa Rica's top wildlife areas.
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Atmospheric Monteverde cloud forest
- Canopy Zipline trails
- Family adventure at Hacienda Guachipelin
- Taste fresh coffee in the Central Valley
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Wildlife rich Osa Peninsula
- Stunning Pacific Coast beaches
- Breathtaking landscape of the Central Valley
- Abundant wildlife in Corcovado National Park
- Cross spectacular Lake Arenal
- Pristine Pacific beaches
- Spectacular views in Arenal
- Secluded Pacific beaches
- Eco-luxury lodge in the cloud forest
- Observe specials such as the endangered Great green macaw, the spectacular Resplendant quetzal and rare Volcano hummingbird
- Explore San Gerardo de Dota mountains for montane rainforest-dwelling species
- Visit tropical lowlands on the Nicaragua border
- Explore Maquenque Nature Reserve
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa is located ten kilometres northwest of La Fortuna and boasts a natural viewpoint towards the Arenal Volcano.The hotel is set on 11 hectares of undulating land, edged by two streams of crystalline waters that originate in the Arenal Volcano National Park, along with private thermal springs.This hotel has a total of 53 suites with balconies and panoramic views of the volcan...
Arenal Springs Resort & Spa offers the perfect combination of relaxation, comfort and tropical scenery with wonderful views of the Arenal volcano. The hotel has 87 colonial-style suites, each with its own terrace and a view of the active side of the volcano. The hotel has two swimming pools, one for adults and one for children, and a new thermal hot springs river. The Ti Cain restaurant offers a v...
Offering panoramic views of the valley below and of the Arenal volacano, Mountain Paradise is an excellent base to explore Arenal.It boasts a hilltop position and is just 10 minutes drive from the nearby town. The property is surrounded by extensive gardens and abundant flora and fauna. Its 40 comfortable rooms are equipped with all modern amenities and its private bathrooms feature rainforest sho...
Natural Lodge Caño Negro enjoys an unrivalled location next to the Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge and is surrounded by nature and beautiful gardens. The wildlife refuge is a natural habitat of more than 350 species of birds, as well as the emerald basilisk, iguanas, river turtles, caimans, jaguars, ocelots, giant anteaters, monkeys, and many more wildlife species. It is the perfect place for keen bird...
- Panama City & the Canal
- Charming Antigua
- Imposing Arenal Volcano
- Spectacular Lake Atitlán
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours