The most biologically diverse places on Earth and considered the jewel on the crown of Costa Rica's national parks; the Corcovado National Park on the country's southwest Osa Peninsula is a must see for wildlife and nature lovers alike.
This wild, untamed region is home to the largest and only tropical primary lowland rainforest in the world and provides sanctuary for abundant endangered flora and flora Diverse habitats ranging from beaches, to mangroves, to swamps, forest and palm groves; the park protects over 140 different mammal species, 400 bird species, 20 of which are endemic, 116 amphibian and reptile species, 40 species of fish and at least 500 species of trees.
The remote park is less accessible than many of Costa Rica's parks, which for many adds to the appeal (and helps with sustainable tourism). Most of the eco-lodges within the area are only reached by air, 4WD and then boat and provide an excellent base from which to explore.
Whether walking through the tropical rainforests hoping for a glimpse of sloths, monkeys or even tapirs, gaining an insight into the rural life in small local communities, or snorkelling off tropical islands to spot dolphins, manta rays and colourful schools of tropical fish; a visit to the Osa Peninsula provides a truly wonderful highlight to any Costa Rica holiday.
- Taste fresh coffee in the Central Valley
- Iconic Arenal volcano
- Wildlife rich Osa Peninsula
- Stunning Pacific Coast beaches
- Breathtaking landscape of the Central Valley
- Abundant wildlife in Corcovado National Park
- Cross spectacular Lake Arenal
- Pristine Pacific beaches
On the remote Osa Peninsula, tucked away in the trees and cooled by the Pacific Ocean, Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge sits on a 170-acre private reserve that borders the Corcovado National Park.It has been carefully designed and built by an American naturalist with over 30 years of local experience. In spite of its remote location, the lodge has has a choice of luxurious suites and bungalows, a bar, ...
El Remanso Lodge is located in the heart of the rainforest on the Osa Peninsula in a private reserve of 185 acres (part of the Osa Peninsula National Refuge).Opened in 1999, El Remanso Lodge has been awarded the highest rating in Sustainable Tourism by the Costa Rican Tourism Board and has a good relationship with the community around the lodge.There are 13 lovely rustic cabins and rooms. Meals ar...
Located on the Golfo Dulce within a 1000 acres of private rainforest, Playa Cativo Eco Lodge is a boutique beach front hotel, surrounded by the Piedras Blancas National Park. Enjoying both the rainforest and a beachfront location, Playa Cativo is a wonderful base to explore the remote and beautiful Osa Peninsula.All rooms feature ocean views, king size beds, ceiling fans, rainforest showers, inter...
Nestled amid jungle covered hillside overlooking the tranquil waters of Drake Bay, Aguila de Osa is a jungle eco lodge offering convenient access to the beautiful Corcovado National Park and Caño Island Biological Marine Reserve.Aguila de Osa is reached by a 40 minute flight from San Jose to Palmar Sur, then a 15 minute road journey to Sierpe followed by a one hour boat trip reach the lodge...
Eco-friendly Lapa Rios is situated in a private 1,000-acre tropical rainforest nature reserve and is home to thousands of creatures including monkeys, macaws and puma. The luxury lodge has 16 thatched bungalows all with wooden floors, king or queen beds, bamboo furniture and a private deck with a garden shower. The lodge has strong community values with many of the staff coming from the local area...
- Hike the Tenorio Volcano region
- See the turquoise waters of the Rio Celeste
- Chance to spot Great Green Macaws at the Boca Tapada Region
- OTS La Selva wildlife Reserve
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours