One of the many enjoyments to be had on a holiday to Peru is the plethora of treks. These are perfect for the intrepid outdoor explorer, the walker with a grand sense of adventure, with the trails leading to the ultimate grand finale of Machu Picchu. Built 550 years ago it went forgotten and abandoned until its recent discovery in the early part of the 20th century, with new sites and passes being made regularly
Settled in the meeting point of the Peruvian Andes and Amazon Basin, the grandeur of the well preserved ruins delightfully compliments the extraordinary beauty of the surrounding nature. Hundreds of stone steps connecting the palaces, temples and terraces of this lost citadel display the marvellous power, skills and achievements of the Inca Empire.
The dilemma with popular tourist attractions can be the expectations are so high the reality is a disappointment.This, however, is never the case with Machu Picchu with the stunning sights and mysterious atmosphere bound to swipe you off your feet. A pilgrimage to this amazing urban creation of the Inca Empire is an essential experience of Peruvian life.
Located in the middle of an incredibly remote tropical mountain forest there are many different routes which lead up to Machu Picchu, all departing from Cusco the old Inca capital. The range of itineraries suit different levels of fitness, yet all are filled with dramatic, stunning landscapes including snow capped mountains and rocky valleys to keep you captivated before arriving at the exciting pinnacle of the mysterious lost city. Theses journeys will grant you the wonderful opportunity to learn about the culture and traditions of the Andean highland communities, discovering the intriguing past of the Incas.
Whether you want to camp and immerse yourself in the wilderness with the Classic Inca trail or jump from lodge to lodge along the exclusive Salkantay trail, all the routes have an exciting atmosphere to them as you arrive at the timeless unbeatable magic of Machu Picchu.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours