For those looking for an alternative to the Inca trail, especially for those who would prefer not to camp, there is the Mountain Lodges of Peru, Salkantay Trail. A less travelled yet still incredibly scenic route through the untamed nature, you will travel from lodge to lodge before arriving at the ancient citadel of Machu Picchu. For those who are looking for a Machu Picchu adventure honeymoon this is the perfect choice, the private atmosphere of the wilderness and the luxury intimacy of the lodges creating a very special holiday.
Your Andean adventure will start in the enchanting valley of Soraypampa, taking you through many untouched pieces of nature such as the Rio Blanco Valley, the coffee and banana plantations of the Santa Teresa River Valley and the lush bamboo forests of the Vilcanota River. Your trek will take you through 15 different ecosystems, passing the dramatic towering snow-capped mountain tops of Humantay Peak and through valleys full of flowering shrubs.
After climbing peaks up to 4,600m above sea level and hours of hiking, the lodges on this itinerary will provide you with comfort luxury at the end of your long days. Make the most of the superb and quality amenities of Collpa and Wayra Lodges including campfires, outdoor Jacuzzis, cosy reading rooms and meals of the famed Andean Energetic Cuisine to fuel all your walking. All made more perfect against the stunning backdrop of the Andes.
On your last day you will arrive at the recently restored and discovered site of Llactapata. Believed to have been built for the Inca Empire to take astrology readings, you will be able to enjoy and marvel at the exclusive views of Machu Picchu from the southwest. Watching the sun rise up over this new wonder of the world, before following the Inca road directly to the ruins and the start of your citadel discoveries is a wonderful way to experience this symbol of Peruvian heritage.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours