Rwanda's capital, the city centre is busy, bustling and colourful, whereas the administrative and government quarter is quieter with wide shady streets and white-walled villas with gardens.
Kigali is a remarkably safe town to wander around.
Our city tour includes the old town (Nyamirambo) and Muslim quarter, the new handicraft village and other shops and the Gisozi Genocide Memorial. The memorial is intensely moving – the tour takes a good two hours and is something everyone should try to see.
There is a choice of hotels in Kigali. Our clients enjoy the Hotel Serena Kigali. Before that the prime international hotel was the Novotel Kigali Umubano.
Then there is the Hotel des Mille Collines, famous since its role as a sanctuary for many hundreds of people during the 1994 genocide has been retold in the film, Hotel Rwanda. It was thoughtfully refurbished and has a super rooftop restaurant.
One of the inexpensive hotels we recommend is Chez Lando, on the airport road, which we often use for small group set departures.
Combine a safari in the best of Tanzania’s northern parks with tracking gorilla in Rwanda for an exceptional game and gorilla experience. This 10 day safari holiday includes visits to Lake Manyara National Park, a full day in Ngorongoro Crater and game viewing on the plains of the central Serengeti. You will have a private vehicle and driver-guide for the duration of your safari for an exclusive w...
- Golden hour with the magnificent Mountain gorillas!
- First class hospitality and guiding
- See Kigali on a city tour
- Golden hour with the incredible Mountain Gorillas
- Spotting the Big 5 and an abundance of other wildlife in the renowned Masai Mara
- Sublime relaxation at the beach in Zanzibar
- Exploring and learning about conservation in Akagera National Park, Rwanda
- Stunning scenery and Golden monkeys at Mgahinga Gorilla Park, Uganda
- Stunning scenery at Lake Mutanda and the Kisozi Crater
- Gorilla tracking in Bwindi
Chez Lando is a small, mid-range, (no-frills) family-run, garden hotel, located in the suburb of Remera, just five minutes from Kigali International Airport, between the airport and town.Chez Lando will charm you with its friendly staff and good food. It is popular with locals and tourists alike.AccommodationThere are 22 rooms in the main building, and another 10 in attractive bungalows set in qui...
The Kigali Serena is Rwanda’s first luxury five-star hotel. Built on the site of the former Diplomates Hotel, on the stylish Rue de Revolution in central Kigali, it is ideally located for business and leisure. International travellers will know what to expect, and they will receive it too. The food and service is first class; there are several lounges, a large pool, gardens and the Bana J...
Hotel Des Mille Collines by Kempinski is a four-star hotel in the city centre in a garden setting with stunning views over the capital city. The hotel was made famous by the film Hotel Rwanda, which told the remarkable story of how it became a sanctuary and enabled more than one thousand people to survive the Rwandan genocide in 1994.AccommodationThe 105 comfortable rooms and eight suites are e...
Only a 15min drive from the international airport, and located in a quiet neighbourhood in Kigali's city centre with wonderful views of the city, the Heaven Restaurant & Boutique Hotel is a homely and friendly hotel owned and managed by Alissa and Josh Ruxin.Heaven's layout is rather unorthodox yet appealing; the accommodation is spread across three buildings; three rooms beside the restau...
- Time with the Mountain gorillas at PNV
- Chimp tracking at Nyungwe National Park
- Albertine Rift Endemics (AREs) and other wonderful birds in both parks
- Scenic, high-altitude Lake Kivu
- Mountain Gorilla and Chimpanzee tracking
- Lions, elephants, buffalo, hippos and antelopes galore
- Superb equatorial African birdwatching!
- Wildlife conservation presentations by rangers, guides & wardens
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours