- Time with the Mountain gorillas at PNV
- Chimp tracking at Nyungwe National Park
- Albertine Rift Endemics (AREs) and other wonderful birds in both parks
- Scenic, high-altitude Lake Kivu
- Learning about Rwandese culture and history
- Accommodation Throughout
This itinerary is for people who wish to explore Rwanda's forested sites of biological importance; track its great apes and explore some of the countryside to learn about everyday Rwandan life
You first head to Nyungwe National Park, where visitors come to seek wild Chimpanzees and a variety of monkeys, along with many of the sought-after 'ARE' birds (Albertine Rift Endemics) which can be encountered along a well-mapped network of trails through Tolkinesque scenery.
One of the attractions at Nyungwe Forest is the canopy walkway, which allows one the chance to seek forest wildilfe and birdlife at canopy level. Do bear in mind though, that you're looking for rainforest wildlife in dense foliage, so it is not to be compared with the standard savannah experience. Here, your accommodation is the stylish One&Only Nyungwe House
Continue to Lake Kivu where you stay first for a night at Kibuye and then travel northwards to Gisenyi which is not too far from the Congolese border. One of the marvellous natural spectacles you can oftentimes see here at dusk, happens when clouds of Straw-coloured fruit bats fly overhead as they head for the Congolese rainforests in search of food.
Finally, travel to Volcanoes National Park where you visit the utterly magnificent Mountain gorillas, and if you wish, also take an excursion in search of either Albertine Rift Endemic birdlife, or smaller mammals such as Golden monkey. For this sample itinerary, we include two wonderful Gorilla treks in Rwanda, a really worthwhile idea. Accommodation at Volcanos National Park, will be One&Only Mountain Gorilla's Nest.
At the end of the trip, travel to Kigali for your flight home.
Note: we recommend that ardent nature enthusiasts add a two-night stay in Akagera National Park onto this sample itinerary, as it allows for exploration of a much more open savannah and lakeland ecosystem
Day 1 Fly to Rwanda
Day 2 Road journey to Nyungwe National Park
Day 3 Nyungwe National Park
Day 4 Nyungwe National Park
Day 5 Road journey to Kibuye, Lake Kivu
Day 6 Road journey to Gisenyi, northern Lake Kivu
Day 7 Lake Kivu to Parc National Des Volcans (Volcanoes
Day 8 Parc National des Volcans -Gorilla tracking!
Day 9 Parc National des Volcans - second Gorilla trackin
Day 10 Parc National des Volcans - Kigali and departure
Day 11 Arrival back home
- Return International Flights as per the itinerary
- All airport taxes and security charges
- Accommodation and meals as specified
- Transfers as specified
- Activities and excursions as specified
- All entrace fees on sightseeing tours as specified
- Travel Insurance
- Any meals not specified in the itinerary
- Tips and gratuities
- Optional excursions
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours