Volcanoes National Park (PNV), two hours drive north of Kigali, is a high altitude park which protects one of the two largest remaining populations of Mountain gorilla. No wildlife experience can surpass meeting a troop of these great apes in their natural habitat.
The Park covers the Rwandan section of the magnificent Virunga Mountains, a range of six extinct and three active volcanoes that also straddles Uganda, and the Congo (DRC).
Bamboo forest, hagenia woodland,grassland, heath and swamp are contained within its boundaries, inhabited by rare Golden monkey, African buffalo, African elephant, Bushbuck, Duikers and various small predators. There are many rare plants and more than 200 bird species - any keen birders would thoroughly enjoy the birding walks on offer here.
Watching the gorillas
Visitors meet at the park HQ in the early morning. People are split into groups to seek the resident habituated Gorilla families. Tracking is usually not very arduous - it can be quick, or it can take a few hours to find the group. The Susa group of 37 gorillas is usually the furthest away and we suggest you visit them if you make a second trek. You are allowed to spend just one hour actually with the Gorillas.
Although permits are very expensive at US$ 1,500 a visit, the money raised protects the park and these endangered animals. This is one of the world’s most endangered apes – there are only 1,064-odd surviving, around half of which live in PNV. The whole park is patrolled by the army to prevent poaching.
There are several lodges near the park. One& Only Gorillas Nest is a modern lodge at the tracking trail-head. Singita also recently opened the impressive Kwitonda Lodge. Further away, Virunga Lodge has a stunning position atop a hillside with a splendid view over the twin volcanic lakes.
There are several other activities at PNV apart from Gorilla tracking – visiting the Golden monkeys, and the Dian Fossey memorial, climbing one of the volcanoes such as Mt Bisoke, or visiting the Twin Lakes. We can arrange any of these if you spend another day at PNV.
- Golden hour with the magnificent Mountain gorillas!
- First class hospitality and guiding
- See Kigali on a city tour
- Golden hour with the incredible Mountain Gorillas
- Spotting the Big 5 and an abundance of other wildlife in the renowned Masai Mara
- Sublime relaxation at the beach in Zanzibar
Situated fifteen minutes drive from the Volcanoes National Park this is the ideal lodge to base yourself in for the Rwanda gorilla tracking experience.Set on a large plot of land, Mountain Gorilla View lodge feels pleasantly remote and secluded.The 36 simple locally styled en-suite cottages all have fireplaces with hot and cold running showers and are widely spaced apart to ensure your privacy.The...
- Time with the Mountain gorillas at PNV
- Chimp tracking at Nyungwe National Park
- Albertine Rift Endemics (AREs) and other wonderful birds in both parks
- Scenic, high-altitude Lake Kivu
- Mountain Gorilla and Chimpanzee tracking
- Lions, elephants, buffalo, hippos and antelopes galore
- Superb equatorial African birdwatching!
- Wildlife conservation presentations by rangers, guides & wardens
At this exquisite destination resort, 21 luxurious jungle chic lodges stand on stilts amongst beautifully landscaped gardens surrounded by eucalypt forest. As if that weren’t reason enough to visit One&Only Gorilla’s Nest, the property is the closest to the trailhead for gorilla tracking at Parc National des Volcans, Rwanda. This impressively designed property comes with the high standards to be...
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge is a joint venture between the local community who own the lodge, and Governor's Camps, the Kenyan company who have designed and built it.The eight cottages, built in local stone, are spacious and comfortable, with fully equipped bathrooms, and magnificent views of the park....
This very comfortable lodge is built in a stunning position atop a hillside, with a splendid views over the 'twin lakes' and, on a clear day, of the whole chain of volcanoes in the national park.This is a true eco-lodge. The eight comfortable brick bandas employ advanced, environmentally sound technology, such as dry toilets, and everything is run without electricity or piped water.Virunga...
On the edge of Volcanoes National Park, Singita Kwitonda Lodge’s convenient location means guests are well positioned in relation to the park HQ and trailhead. Each of the eight luxurious suites has a private, heated plunge-pool; comes with indoor and outdoor fireplaces, and large timber-framed windows. Elements like woven ceilings and hand-fired terracotta brickwork crafted by local arti...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours