This very comfortable lodge is built in a stunning position atop a hillside, with a splendid views over the 'twin lakes' and, on a clear day, of the whole chain of volcanoes in the national park.
This is a true eco-lodge. The eight comfortable brick bandas employ advanced, environmentally sound technology, such as dry toilets, and everything is run without electricity or piped water.
Virunga Lodge offers excellent quality accommodation. It is an ideal base for those who wish to climb the Bisoke or Karisimbi volcanoes, track golden monkey, visit Diane Fossey’s grave or go for walks to visit the villages around the lakes.
It is about an hour's drive from the PNV park HQ.
The lodge's proprietor founded the exemplary Volcanoes Community and Conservation Projects (VSPT), the aim of which is to create and support long-term and self-sustatining activities which enrich the livelihoods of permanently resident communities, promote continued conservation of great apes, restore and protect natural habitat and contribute towards reducing of human-wildlife conflict.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours