The Valdes Peninsula is a vast area overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, some two hours south of Buenos Aires by air to Trelew.
Some may know the Valdes Peninsula for its Welsh community at Gaiman, where you can enjoy a traditional Welsh cream tea.
However, travelling further out from Trelew towards the coast at Puerto Madryn, the region is a veritable wildlife haven. The peninsula is one of the best places to see whales (June to November), elephant seals, sea lions, penguins, cormorants, petrels and many other bird species. It is the largest breeding ground for Magallenic penguins in South America, whilst Punta Delgada is where the elephant seals and sea lions can be seen from cliffs, scattered across the beach below. The penguin rookery at Punta Tombo Nature Reserve is best visited from September through to February.
Faro Punta Delgada occupies a very special location, next to a working lighthouse on the Valdes Peninsula.The hotel is a former post office and Navy casino but now consists of 27 comfortable guestrooms, a restaurant and the Lighthouse pub.In the intimate and cozy restaurant enjoy traditional home-made Argentine food, in particular Patagonic lamb.With a great location surrounded by great country la...
Estancia Rincon Chico is an intimate and secluded property situated in the Peninsula Valdes.The farmhouse is run by a family and offers 8 comfortable en suite bedrooms and a homely drawing room and dining room perfect for relaxing. The estancia is surrounded by a working farm area with many sheep.During your stay, you can enjoy the traditional cuisine and also, the nearby beach where elephant seal...
Hotel Peninsula Valdes occupies a great, central location in Puerto Madryn.The service is warm at the hotel and the rooms vary in size and offer different views; some great ones of the harbour. There is also a spa, sauna and gym at the hotel. In the day, you can take day trips to the Peninsula Valdes to see the elephant seals and to Punta Tombo to see the penguins.The Hotel Peninsula Valdes is a g...
Hotel Territorio is situated away from the main city of Puerto Madryn in the quieter Punta Cuevas.The boutique hotel offers 36 comfortable bedrooms including some suites, all of which boast great sea views.The hotel offers modern facilities including; a spa and gym and in the evenings, you can enjoy bar snacks. Hotel Territorio is located within travelling distance of daytime excursions to Punta T...
Situated 180 kilometres away from the city of Puerto Madryn, Estancia La Elvira is perfectly located to enjoy the extraordinary natural wealth of the Peninsula Valdes.This estancia offers 8 comfortable rooms which are decorated with features that represent the history of the area.Enjoy the peace and tranquility of the area and enjoy some of the activities on offer at the estancia such as horse rid...
Bahia Bustamente may feel to some like they've reached the end of the world yet the effort taken to arrive is definitely worth it. This is a holiday to Argentina that is off the beaten track.Set on Argentina's Atlantic coast between Comodoro Rivadavia and Trelew, the property is made up of 11 simple houses (either Sea Front houses or Steppe houses) each with a separate living area, kitche...
- Vibrant Buenos Aires
- Experience Iguazu Falls, a natural wonder of the world
- Spot abundant wildlife in the Ibera Wetlands
- Spectacular Wildlife in Valdes Peninsula
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours