Deep in the southern part of Patagonia, between Cape Horn and the Magellan Strait, the land breaks up into an archipelago, the largest island of which is Tierra del Fuego.
Ushuaia, the capital of the Tierria Del Fuego province, is the southernmost city in the world, and is the base for exploring this wild rugged landscape, bounded by the Martial mountain range to the north and the Beagle Channel to the south.
Majestic panoramas of eternally snowy peaks, millenary glaciers and a rich diversity of marine fauna make this a great addition to an Argentina itinerary.
Staying in Ushuaia, you can take a boat trip along the Beagle Channel where you will be able to spot colonies of sealions and Magellan penguins and often pilot whales as well. Ushuaia itself has a fascinating frontier history, starting with the first primitive inhabitants through to its farming pioneers and the town's museums illustrate these periods very well.
The Tierra del Fuego National Park and Lapataia Bay offer visitors beautiful landscapes depending on the season but are always rich in local flora and fauna, especially in spring and summer when flowers and birds are abundant.
Ushuaia also serves as the starting point for most expedition cruises to the Antarctic Peninsula and is the place to stock up on warm clothing before descending south towards the White Continent. Similarly a visit to Ushuaia can be added to the beginning or end of an expedition cruise to Cape Horn and the fjords and glaciers of Tierra del Fuego, with Australis cruises towards Punta Arenas in Chile or vice versa.
- Spot seals as you Zodiac-cruise through shimmering waters lined with icebergs
- Admire mighty king penguin colonies in South Georgia
- Discover elephant seals and Antarctic fur seals on the vast beaches
- Enjoy luxury pre-cruise accommodation with stunning views across the mountains of Ushuaia
- Admire extraordinary, rarely sighted wildlife
- Enjoy Zodiac cruises to secluded bays and quiet coves, filled with enormous glaciers and towering icebergs
- Keep a close watch for whales, seals and penguins
- Relish overnight stays in luxury hotels in Argentina and Chile, with stunning views of the surrounding mountains
Australis cruises are for those who want to explore the wild and beautiful Patagonian fjords.Cruises operate from October to April between Punta Arenas in Chile and Ushuaia in Argentina, for either three or four nights. You will sail through the Straits of Magellan, the Beagle Channel and around Cape Horn on a journey through fjords, glaciers and islands. There are 2 cruise ships, the Stella Austr...
Arakur Resort & Spa is perched on an outcrop 800 feet above sea level in an exceptional area inside the Reserva Natural Cerro Alarkén and close to the city of Ushuaia.The hotel is designed taking into account concepts of sustainable architecture with each of the inviting rooms and suites decorated using indigenous Argentine materials, such as copper, marble, stone, woods, and leather.The re...
- Bustling Buenos Aires
- Mysterious South Orkney Islands
- Whale spotting off the coast of remote South Georgia
- Wildlife spotting on the Falklands
Los Cauquenes is a charming, mountain style property located a short distance from Ushuaia town and features direct beach access.Offering 54 spacious bedrooms including 5 suites they feature either a mountain or Beagle Channel view.At the Reinamora restaurant, you can enjoy traditional Patagonian food such as king crab and enjoy fantastic Argentine wines with dinner or at the bar.Relax at the swim...
- Venture on an in-depth exploration of the Antarctic Peninsula
- Experience nesting and chicks hatching and albatrosses chasing the tail of the ship
- Enjoy clean, pristine conditions, allowing for postcard-perfect photographs
- Embrace early-season sightings of whales
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours