Wild and remote, Samburu, Buffalo Springs and Shaba Reserves protect arid thornbush savannah, scrubland and scattered acacia.
The plentiful wildlife adapted to this harsh environment includes Reticulated giraffe, Grevy’s zebra, generuk and Beisa oryx. The birdlife is diverse, with over 380 recorded species.
Running through Samburu and bordered by a permanent ribbon of green, the Ewaso Nyiro River is the lifeblood of this ecosystem, attracting large herds of African savannah elephant to the banks. Its a rewarding location for spotting predators such as African lion and Leopard.
Recommended things to do on a Samburu & Shaba safari:
- Learn about Samburu culture
- Star-gaze on clear nights
- Spot nocturnal animals on a night drive
- Visit the Joy Adamson museum
- Tick off some of the 380 recorded birds
- Search for big cats and an abundance of other wildlife in the world renowned Masai Mara
- Seek dry-country wildlife best sought in Samburu
- Enjoy intimate bush camps with a relaxed safari ambience and exceptional service
- Exclusive itinerary to Rainbow Tours
- Wildlife rich areas
- Small boutique camps
- Fly betweeen parks - maximising time on safari
- Luxurious Accommodation
- Safari without the crowds
- 3 magnificent areas of Kenya
- Unique experiences
- Quintessential East African safari in Kenya with abundant game
- Soaking up the tropical sunshine in the sublime Seychelles
- Top notch accommodation, great food and first class hospitality
- Two Iconic wildlife areas in Kenya
- First Class accommodation
- Safari and beach stay without the crowds
Elephant Bedroom Camp is a very welcoming, well-run tented safari camp with a lovely riverside setting in Samburu National Reserve.Elephant Bedroom has 12 spacious, comfortable tents, 2 with king-size beds and 10 with twin queen-size. Other furnishings include a sofa and a dressing table, a standing lamp and bedside lamps. Each tent is has enormous screen windows to provide open views and is equip...
Elephant Watch is an exotic, eco-friendly camp on the banks of a seasonal river, not far from the Douglas-Hamiltons’ elephant research station.Each of the six individual, stylish, tented rooms is built around its own tree and furnished with unique pieces made from fallen wood. Local rugs, bright cushions and swathes of colourful fabric reinforce the atmosphere of a nomadic camp. Superb meals...
Joy’s Camp is a stunning tented safari camp in northern Kenya’s Shaba National Reserve, at the eastern corner of the Samburu. The camp has seven double and three twin tented rooms set on raised platforms. Each has an uninterrupted view over the bush to the surrounding hills. The 80 sq metre, insect-proofed, cream-coloured tents have an abundance of netted “windows” to take ...
Samburu Intrepids has 30 newly refurbished en suite tents and palm thatched main areas are set on stilts to catch the breezes. Like Mara Intrepids, its Adventurers Club offers children an outstanding interactive safari experience. Activities include guided nature walks, butterfly identification, plaster-casting animal prints, traditional singing, dancing and craftwork sessions, and learning Maasai...
Saruni Samburu Saruni Samburu’s six luxury villas are open and spacious, heralding spectacular views over Kenya’s Northern Frontier District and Mount Kenya in the distance. The warm and welcoming hospitality makes for an intimate and exceptional experience. The lodge is revered for it’s innovative, eco-chic architecture and interesting design and de´cor, as well as its Italian s...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours