The beaches of Zanzibar’s east coast are even more beautiful than they appear in travel literature.
The sand is a brilliant white and powder fine, and stretches from Nungwi at the northern tip of the island to Chakwa in the south. The turquoise waters are warm, and a fringe reef lies less than a kilometre offshore. Find shade beneath the coconut palms bordering the beach. No wonder this coast attracts divers and fishermen, as well as couples in search of a tropical paradise.
Most of the beaches on Zanzibar’s east coast have a very small slope, so the water retreats a long way when the tide is out. As well as the gorgeous beaches Zanzibar offers a wide choice of beach accommodation.
Our selection ranges from the inexpensive and laid-back Shooting Star Lodge and Matemwe Beach Village through to the ever-popular Breezes Beach Club, stylish Matemwe Bungalows, and the 5-star luxury of The Palms and the new Residence Zanzibar.
In the north, Ras Nungwi is still a firm favourite and just 15 kilometres southeast of Stone Town, the Fumba Peninsula is a quiet spot with some great beaches, and few tourists.
Fumba Beach Lodge is the only place to stay in the WWF’s Menai Bay Conservation area, which protects uninhabited islands, idyllic sandbanks and a wealth of marine life.
- Big Five Safari in the Masai Mara
- Down time on the pristine beaches of Zanzibar
- Walking tour of Stone Town
- Wildlife galore in Naboisho Conservancy
- Watch the famed Wildebeest migration (in season)
- Explore the heritage of Stone Town
- Rest & relaxation time at the Zanzibar coast
- Seek wildlife in the great Masai Mara
- Day and night drives, bush walks and bush breakfasts included
- Romantic stay in a former Zanzibari palace
- stay on the white sandy beaches of Zanzibar
- Golden hour with the incredible Mountain Gorillas
- Spotting the Big 5 and an abundance of other wildlife in the renowned Masai Mara
- Sublime relaxation at the beach in Zanzibar
The exotic island of Zanzibar is located just 35kms offshore from Dar e Salam, so it makes this beautiful island a natural choice for those looking to unwind and relax after a safari. The island is a combination of distinctive culture, pristine beaches and dense forests where endangered red colobus monkeys live. The Residence Zanzibar is one of the finest hotels on the island, offering personal bu...
- Gorilla tracking in Bwindi
- Gorilla Habituation Experience!
- Mabamba Swamp excursion for Shoebill
- Big Five in Kenya
This three-centre Zanzibar holiday takes you to a superb selection of beach destinations;Unguja, the main island in the Zanzibar Archipelago,Chumbe a tiny coral island just 6 km off the Stone Town coast, and finallyMafia, the biggest island in the Mafia Archipelago.The holiday begins in Zanzibar’s historic capital, Stone Town, where you explore on foot with a private guide and spend one nigh...
Situated on the North Eastern coast of Zanzibar, about 45 minutes from the airport, Azanzi is a luxury boutique beach hotel with 35 rooms - a mix of suites and stand-alone villas.The main hotel has multi-level viewing decks with swimming pool, bar and dining area overlooking the Indian Ocean.Azanzi was the first lodge in Africa to offer unique glass bottom sea kayaks, designed to magnify the marin...
Baraza is a truly lovely, 30-villa resort on a beach of the softest sand, beside a sparkling turquoise lagoon; a place where, whether you like your relaxation active or languid, everything is smooth and easy here for your Zanzibar holiday. Baraza manages the impossible. The combination of lavishly equipped, private villas in flowering gardens and the choice of facilities in the main hotel enabl...
Bluebay Beach Resort is set in 25 acres of lovely gardens, with over 1000 palm trees, next to the beautiful Kiwengwa beach.Kiwengwa is a traditional Zanzibari fishing village and, although there are several large Italian resorts in this area, these tourists are seldom seen outside of their all-inclusive enclaves.AccommodationThe 88 air-conditioned rooms are grouped in two-storey thatched bungalows...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours