Baraza is a truly lovely, 30-villa resort on a beach of the softest sand, beside a sparkling turquoise lagoon; a place where, whether you like your relaxation active or languid, everything is smooth and easy here for your Zanzibar holiday.
Baraza manages the impossible. The combination of lavishly equipped, private villas in flowering gardens and the choice of facilities in the main hotel enables honeymooners and families to enjoy their holidays as individuals, with plenty of space.
The architecture and décor are inspired by Zanzibar’s Swahili culture, with carved wooden furnishings, rich and glimmering fabrics, Arabian arches, bronze fittings, an array of intricate Indian lanterns – and a curtained baraza.
The 14 one-bedroom and 15 two-bedroom villas all have a huge bed with variable lighting, en suite bathroom with freestanding bath and walk-in shower, dressing room, living room with TV, CD Player, baraza, mini bar with tea/coffee making facilities, large terrace with sun loungers, and plunge pool. The two-bedroom villas have a second bedroom with en suite bathroom.
The Presidential Villa has two master bedrooms, a private dining area and small kitchenette.
Seven of the one-bedroom villas are ocean front; the other seven have an ocean view – and greater privacy. The two-bedroom villas are either ‘Sultan’s view’ or garden view.
The large main pool has loads of comfortable sun-beds and is a focus of (in)activity. Alternatively, you can lounge under the palm trees above the beach. The watersports centre organises reef walks, has bikes for riding along the beach, pedal boats, kayaks, beach volleyball and windsurfers – and, if you or your children want to learn to windsurf, the staff are skilled and patient. The dive centre is a short walk along the beach and the water club offers kite surfing, sailing, power kites, land boards and a kite buggy. Or you can work off the meals on the floodlit tennis court, or in the gym.
The large, spacious Frangipani Spa is sensational, with single and double massage rooms, beauty treatments, a yoga hall, its own pool, the sensuous Sultan’s bath for two, and restful indoor and outdoor relaxation areas.
The bar is busy before dinner. If you want a bit more nightlife, walk down the beach to Breezes where the bar is lively – there is plenty of security.
You can take meals at your villa or on the beach, and Baraza is brilliant at staging private dining for special occasions. Breakfast is an abundant, varied hot and cold buffet. Lunch is taken in the airy, open pavilion near the pool and alternates between a buffet and a menu – or you can order from the simpler pool bar menu. Dinner also varies in format and location. The standard of cooking and baking is high and portions are very generous. The kitchen is always willing to rustle up something for fussy eaters – or if you are just still full from the previous meal.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours