Located approximately 140 kilometres south of Dar es Salaam lies the archipelago of Songo Songo, home to the untouched Fanjove Island.
This small, pristine island has remained largely hidden from view for centuries other than having a lighthouse erected to aid navigation. Even today this largely uninhabited island defies the onset of mass tourism and the caretakers of this unspoilt paradise are adamant for it to remain so.
You will not find resort complexes, masses of entertainment and over the top luxurious accommodation. Instead there is an eco-friendly lodge which has minimal environmental impact on the island and a calm and tranquillity that is hard to find anywhere else in the world.
Here you are treated to white deserted beaches, crystalline waters, unexplored coral reefs, and a multitude of birds, land and marine life.
Fanjove Island is an important nesting site for greenback and hawksbill turtles, a rare but small population of coconut crabs, a myriad of migrant bird and butterfly species together with large pods of spinner dolphins and seasonal visits from humpback whales.
Due to its remoteness travel to and from the island remains “a challenge’ with a 40 minute flight from Dar es Salaam to the main island followed by a short boat transfer to Fanjove Island.
Those willing to travel off the beaten track during their Zanzibar holiday will be rewarded with a true island paradise.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours