The beautiful Waterberg mountains and Welgevonden Game Reserve are just three hours drive north of Johannesburg. It's a landscape of rolling red mountains, steep gorges, rocky outcrops, flowing rivers and open plains, which provides an ideal environment for game. Tourism is now a major source of livlihood for the communities around the reserve.
- Safari in a beautiful non Malarial reserve just north of Johannesbug
- See some amazing scenery and big game on the Welgevonden reserve
- Relax and unwind on an all inclusive basis in Mauritius
Ant's Nest and Ant’s Hill are private bush homes located on their own game reserves in the Waterberg and run by passionate conservationists, Ant and Tessa Barber.Ant’s Nest has four bedrooms, as well as two onebedroom detached cottages, sleeping up to 12. Both lodges can either be booked by one group at a time, or you can book just one room, making it a wonderful destination for fa...
Makweti Safari Lodge offers five secluded thatch and stone suites built into natural rock formations in the craggy Waterberg (water mountain).Indoor and outdoor showers, Victorian bath tubs, log fires and private decks, with spectacular views of the undulating bushveld, contribute to the atmosphere.Makweti’s hospitality and cuisine is of the highest standard (‘Chaîne des Rô...
Kololo Game Reserve offers the best of both worlds: you can enjoy plains game on the private reserve by vehicle, on foot or even mountain bike as well as ‘big five’ game viewing on the neighbouring Welgevonden Game Reserve. Only 3 ½ hours north of Johannesburg, this 3000 hectare reserve has free roaming species such as: giraffe, kudu, wildebeest, zebra, eland and impala. The variety of activitie...
Close to South Africa’s border with both Botswana and Zimbabwe, near the small town of Musina in the far northern Limpopo province, is Mopane Bush Lodge.The traditionally designed ‘kraal’ is situated on the 6000 hectare Mapesu Private Nature Reserve, which borders the world heritage site of Mapungubwe National Park. Here, at the confluence of the mighty Limpopo and Shashe Rivers,...
Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge is in a beautiful valley of the in the Soutpansberg mountains.Here Venda and Tsonga culture is brought to life and celebrated on this 300 hectare farm lovingly restored by Dutch owners Marcelle and Aart with full involvement from the local community. This little oasis on the dusty plains beyond Polokwane and Louis Trichardt is a guest house, gallery displaying local ar...
Leshiba Wilderness is on the plateau of the Soutpansberg, a lost ‘Eden’ transformed in the early 90’s by John and Gill Rosmarin with a variety of plains game species and even white rhino.This unique and diverse biosphere contains 30% of South Africa’s tree species, 60% bird species, 40% mammal species and 30% of spider and amphibian, which is remarkable considering it is on...
Just two and half hours’ drive from Johannesburg, enjoy a fantastic safari experience in a non-malarial reserve at Shambala Private Game Reserve. With only 8 rooms, this lodge is perfect for travellers preferring to be more exclusive.All 8 chalets are elegantly decorated with an Afro-French Provincial style with en-suite bathrooms, both indoor and outdoor showers and a private viewing deck. ...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours