Kololo Game Reserve offers the best of both worlds: you can enjoy plains game on the private reserve by vehicle, on foot or even mountain bike as well as ‘big five’ game viewing on the neighbouring Welgevonden Game Reserve.
Only 3 ½ hours north of Johannesburg, this 3000 hectare reserve has free roaming species such as:
- eland and
The variety of activities and accommodation styles make Kololo perfect for both active families and couples.
A two storey unfussy main area houses the restaurant, lounge, bar, swimming pool and boma with views over the reserve and into the Welgevonden Game Reserve.
From 2-person deluxe chalets to 6-person bush villas with outdoor barbecues, a tented camp for the adventurous and the luxury of the Kings & Queens Villas with private pool and boma, Kololo appeals to a wide range of budgets.
There is an appealing array of activities available on site and nearby. Your stay is inclusive of all meals in the restaurant or boma, all activities on Kololo such as game drives, use of mountain bikes and , hiking trails.
Within easy reach, and at an additional cost, 3 or 6 hour game drives on the Welgevonden, set off on a horse trail, drive or walk on the Marakele National Park, visit the De Wildt Shingwedzi Cheetah Ranch, experience the Vaalwater township tour or an unforgettable Waterberg elephant back safari.
The lodge is an accredited Fair Trade for Tourism SA, which is a rigorous process.
Kololo Game Reserve and its team of employees are strongly committed to capacity building and social development in their local community. Initiatives include support for a school bursary, an educational programme and an orphans’ assistance programme operated by the local Waterberg Welfare Society (WWS). Guests can make both financial contributions and non-financial donations (e.g. books and clothes).
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Safari in a beautiful non Malarial reserve just north of Johannesbug
- See some amazing scenery and big game on the Welgevonden reserve
- Relax and unwind on an all inclusive basis in Mauritius
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours