Madi a Thavha Mountain Lodge is in a beautiful valley of the in the Soutpansberg mountains.
Here Venda and Tsonga culture is brought to life and celebrated on this 300 hectare farm lovingly restored by Dutch owners Marcelle and Aart with full involvement from the local community. This little oasis on the dusty plains beyond Polokwane and Louis Trichardt is a guest house, gallery displaying local artists, craft and education centre.
Decorated in vibrant colours, the accommodation for a maximum of 20, varies from simple lodge rooms in the main house to a series of converted farm buildings sleeping couples or families. Light but tasty home cooked meals are served al fresco on the verandah of the main building.
Comfortable loungers invite relaxation around the swimming pool. Activities focus on the talented tribes of this region. Guests are invited to take a guided tour visiting artist’s studios - A great opportunity to purchase some of the exceptional ceramics, music and fabrics direct from the local artisans. Natural attractions such as the Soutpansberg, Lake Fundudzi and Letaba Dam, visits to local communities or even the opportunity for a longer stay to learn a trade of a local artist which include wood carving, textile and ceramics.
Children are particularly well catered for with careful attention to kids meals, opportunity to learn how to cook bread on a fire or create crafts with the Madi a Thavha design team. Toys, games, traditional music instruments and African performance cloth are available. On the Elim art and crafts tour children can play traditional music and decorate a small clay pot.
Madi a Thavha empowers its staff through skills development and ongoing training in areas such as sewing, craft production, business skills and HIV/Aids awareness, to name a few. The business is extensively involved with its community, in particular through arts and crafts mentoring programmes, while the entire Madi a Thavha team participates in on site environmental education activities.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours