Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park is South Africa’s oldest wildlife reserve and the jewel in KwaZulu Natal’s crown. It’s a vast reserve, covering 95,000 hectares, and is world-famous for its work in conserving the white rhino, which now number over 2000 in this park. It is the best place on earth to see rhino, both black and white.
The reserve is steeped in history. Once the private hunting ground Shaka, the famous Zulu king, Hluhluwe-Imfolozi Park was established in 1895, primarily to protect the white rhino, which even then was threatened with extinction.
However, there are another 82 mammal species in the park, including all the Big Five. In the first five minutes of a drive through the park recently, I saw warthog, baboon, nyala, white rhino, a herd of buffalo, zebra, as well as several elephant on the road. There are around seventy lions in the reserve, but they are hard to spot. Birds are prolific and over 400 species have beenrecorded in the park.
Much of the bush surrounding the reserve is also given over to game: there are several well-known private reserves in the area, including Mkuze Falls, Thanda, Leopard Mountain, and CC Africa’s renowned Phinda Reserve, to name but a few. The provincial conservation authority has been expanding the giant Mkuze Reserve to the north so that, eventually, all these reserves will link together and east to the St Lucia Wetlands Park on the coast - so that animals will once more be free to roam through Zululand, unimpeded by fences.
- Exceptional wildlife at Phinda Private game Reserve
- Track the endangered Rhino
- Relax on the untouched beaches of Mozambique
- Exhilarating helicopter transfer from the lodge in Mozambique
Amakhosi Safari Lodge is a charming 5-star lodge is set on the banks of the Mkuze River near Pongola inside the beautiful, mountainous, 12,000-hectare Amazulu Private Reserve. The six spacious river suites are luxurious, very well-appointed and decorated in muted natural tones. They have a separate bedroom and lounge, so are suitable for families. Two ultraluxurious Umntwana honeymoon suites have ...
Hilltop Camp is set on the summit of a forested hill inside Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park and has stupendous views over the Reserve.Operated by KZN Wildlife, which manages all the public reserves, accommodation is in simple but comfortable one- and two bedroom self-catering chalets. There is a shop to purchase food, but also a very decent restaurant.You can drive yourself around the reserve, but the lodg...
This Big 5, 4 Star multi-award winning game lodge is located high up in the wild secluded hills of the 23 000 hectare Zululand Rhino Reserve, with spectacular views overlooking a vast stretch of unspoilt bush veld and riverine forests, from the Umsunduze River meandering below to the distant Lebombo Mountains.Join us in an environment where conservation is of utmost importance and a priority in ou...
&Beyond Phinda Game Reserve is an 18,000-hectare private game reserve cradled between the Lebombo Mountains and the Indian Ocean in the lush KwaZulu-Natal region of South Africa. Its diverse habitats, wealth of wildlife and bird species, and variety of exhilirating activities, Phinda is an outstanding setting for a safari holiday. ‘Phinda’ means ‘the return’. It has bee...
Close to Hluhluwe, is a romantic haven offering exclusive accommodation and exceptional game viewing. This is a particularly intimate camp consisting of nine indulgent bush villas and a luxury tented camp, perfect for couples seeking both privacy and the chance to view the ‘Big Five’. The Thanda experience is as much about celebrating the richness of Zulu culture as it is about the abu...
Umkhumbi situated on a game farm just outside Hluhluwe, this comfortable, owner-run lodge is in a peaceful sand forest. It’s an excellent central location from which to explore the cultural and natural wonders of Isimangaliso Wetland Park, Hluhluwe, Sodwana, Lake St Lucia, Tembe Elephant Park and Jozini. The lodge’s six deluxe, two-bedroomed suites, swimming pool and convivial bar and ...
- Introduction to Environmental Awareness
- Learn about conservation and ecology
- Big five drives in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Boat trip in St Lucia
- Hike and explore the magical Drakensburg
- Delve in the history of the Battlefields
- Cruise on the Pongola River
- Search for big game in Hluhluwe Game Reserve
Offering luxurious lodges surrounded by sensational scenery and exciting safari opportunities, Rhino Ridge Safari Lodge is a luxury private bolthole in Northern KwaZulu Natal. Found within Africa's oldest proclaimed reserve Hluhluwe Imfolozi Park, home to the Big Five, Rhino Ridge is part owned by the local Mpembeni Community and was built with a desire to bring a wonderfully unique and eco-co...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours