The Amazon rainforest in Ecuador covers an area of nearly 125,000 sq km and is home to more species of birds than the whole of North America. There are many tracts of unspoiled virgin forest where you can see tapirs, monkeys, freshwater dolphins, caimans, butterflies, toucans, parrots and many other species of birds which exist within an incredible biodiversity of plantlife. The best way to experience the jungle is by staying at a lodge, all of which offer regular departures for stays of three or four nights and include all food and accommodation. At these Amazon lodges all excursions are with English-speaking naturalist guides, and are included in the price. The lodges themselves generally provide basic but reasonably comfortable facilities, sometimes with hot showers.
If you are interested in combining your rainforest experience with learning more about traditional tribes and cultures, then some of our lodges are run in conjunction with local communities and offer a real insight into traditional ways of life in this region. Whatever your requirements, we can find the best lodge for you. Do ring to talk through your options. We can tailor-make any combinations of lodges.
Top Amazon tips
• Go on one or more night walks as this is when the forest comes alive. You feel completely surrounded by so many creatures that you can only hear. In the day it can be hard to spot wildlife through the dense vegetation, but at night you can catch the reflection of their eyes in the light cast by your torch.
• Take the time to talk one-on-one with your guide as you will be rewarded with some fascinating insights and stories.
• Remember it can be quite hard work spotting wildlife, so go with an open mind as the magic of the Amazon will hit you when you least expect it!
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours