Otavalo is just a few hours drive north of the country's capital, Quito and is famous for its traditional and colourful market which is at its busiest on the weekends. Ecuador has many local markets throughout the country but Otavalo is one the best places in the country to buy traditional textiles and the world-famous Panama hats. Otavalo town is the epicentre for the artisans and weavers to come to sell their wares from small communities dotted around this pretty region close to San Pablo Lake and in the shadow of the Imbabura Volcano.
We recommend including a visit to Otavalo region if you have time where you can explore the local communities and see the artisans at work in towns such as Cotacachi and Ibarra, Agato and Peguche. On an Otavalo holiday or visit we thoroughly recommend a relaxing stay at one of Ecuador's historic country haciendas close to the town, some dating back hundreds of years to the days of the Spanish conquistadors. Here you can enjoy a taste of Ecuadorian rural life in comfortable surroundings with local cuisine and warm hospitality.
Located in the Otavalo Region just two hours north of the capital Quito, Hacienda Zuleta is a colonial working family run farm which has been in the family of former president Galo Palza Lasso for over a hundred years. The hacienda has a peaceful atmosphere and guests can relax in the fabulous gardens, cosy living and reading rooms and inner courtyard. There are 15 beautifully decorated bedrooms...
- Explore Quito's UNESCO World Heritage centre
- Unique wildlife viewing opportunities
- Masphi Lodge in Ecuador's Cloud Forest
- Spectacular Andes Landscapes of Otavalo
Otavalo is just a short journey from the capital and is famous for its traditional and colourful market. Its best hotel is La Mirage, a contemporary Relais & Chateaux property located in the grounds of a 200-year-old hacienda. La Mirage has 23 comfortable rooms and suites, each with its own fireplace, to ensure guests receive a warm welcome. Pamper yourself with luxurious spa treatments or relax i...
Nestled in the undulating mountains of the northern Ecuadorean Andes, near Otavalo, the historic Hacienda Piman is a very comfortable base for exploring the area. The hacienda blends modern styling with traditional thick stone walls, exposed brick and carefully chosen antiques surrounded by beautiful gardens. Seventeen rooms are spread across the manor house and garden cottages. Home cooked meals ...
- Colonial Quito & Cuenca
- Snow-capped Cotopaxi
- Avenue of the Volcanoes
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours