The striking city of Cuenca was founded in 1557 on the site of an old Inca settlement and is considered Ecuador's most charming city. Cuenca’s historic centre has cobble stoned streets, flower-filled plazas and churches dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. Home of the Panama hat, the city retains much of its old colonial atmosphere.
La Cajas National Park is located 19 miles to the northwest of the city where visitors can hike or fish in breathtaking landscapes. The numerous glacial lakes are set amongst stunning scenery at 10,000 feet, and it is excellent area for walking and birdwatching. Visitors to the region can travel overland via Cajas to Guayaquil, to the country's principal coastal port city, in just a day, making Cuenca the perfect stepping stone across to the Galapagos Islands after exploring mainland Ecuador, as all flights to the islands go via Guayaquil.
Restored to its original splendour, this beautiful 19th century colonial house is located in the heart of historic Cuenca. It has just 11 rooms and three suites, each individually and tastefully decorated with antique furniture and artworks. Many rooms overlook the hotel’s lush gardens. The Casa Alonso restaurant serves typical Ecuadorian cuisine and the elegant Le Bar is a pleasant venue for cock...
Santa Lucia is a unique hotel and is actually one of Cuenca´s most historic antique buildings. It is centrally located in an elegantly restored colonial house with 20 rooms around a beautiful patio which was the background for a famous Ecuadorian movie. In 1999 they started the renovation of the hotel with all modern conveniences. The Santa Lucia hotel is a gem in Cuenca's antique build...
- Colonial Quito & Cuenca
- Snow-capped Cotopaxi
- Avenue of the Volcanoes
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours