There are many reasons to overnight in Oudtshoorn. If you are travelling along Route 62, the scenic route linking Cape Town and the Garden Route, it makes the perfect place to break your journey; and, if you don’t visit Oudtshoorn, you miss the spectacular drive from Oudtshoorn down to George.
The town was capital of the ostrich feather industry in Edwardian times and this is reflected in the style of the buildings. It’s a bit of a tourist honeypot, with lots of people coming to visit the ostrich farms, to ride an ostrich and to visit tourist shops offering every conceivable ostrich skin product, but the cavernous Cango Caves, just outside town, are spectacular and repay a visit. There are a number of places to stay, both in and out of town, and most have ostrich fillet on the menu.
The Cango Caves contain a magnificent subterranean landscape within the foothills of the Swartberg Mountains and are one of South Africa’s most popular attractions. Despite the number of people who visit them, the calcite columns and cavernous spaces are awesome.
We were impressed by the good-value, imaginative menu at Jemima’s – and are delighted to see that it has been recognised as one of South Africa’s top 100 restaurants in this year’s WINE magazine’s dine restaurant awards.
De Zeekoe Guest Farm lies 10 min outside Oudtshoorn, just off the R62 and the wine route in the Klein Karroo.The name is taken from the original Dutch name of the farm ‘Zeekoegat’ and means ‘hippo waterhole’.De Zeekoe is a 2000 hectare, owner managed working ostrich and lucern farm with beautiful views of Swartberg and Outeniqua Mountains, the perfect setting for an early e...
La Plume is about 14 km outside Oudtshoorn, on the R62 side, is a charming turn of the century homestead in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and wine farm.This is one of those excellent-value, hospitable, owner-run guest houses for which South Africa is renowned. It also has a very good restaurant – always book in advance.The owners, Bartel and Karin Du Toit, are the t...
Rosenhof Country Lodge is a restored 1852 Victorian homestead on the outskirts of Oudtshoorn. It is on the road to the Cango Caves and named for its fragrant garden of roses and herbs. The main building is preserves the traditional yellowwood beams and ceilings, and is furnished with antiques. There is a restaurant serving traditional, home-cooked country meals with a cordon bleu touch and an impr...
- Explore Cape Town's Table Mountain, Wine lands and Cape Peninsula
- Safari in the stunning non-malarial Eastern Cape
- Follow the Garden Route to Plettenberg Bay and Knysna
- Travel with an experienced and knowledgeable professional guide
- Be sure to take a cable car up to the top of Table Mountain
- Taste some amazing wines in Franschhoek
- see some Meerkats up close and personal in Oudtshoorn
- If you're lucky, spot Whales and Dolphins in Plettenberg
Found in the city of George, a spectacular drive down from Oudtshoorn, the Fancourt is a wonderful lifestyle estate in the beautiful Garden Route.This hotel is surrounded by the magnificent mountains and indigenous forests with the warm Indian Ocean and pristine beaches just a short car journey away.Spread across 613 hectares of glorious nature, the Fancourt is equipped with everything to ensure a...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours