La Plume is about 14 km outside Oudtshoorn, on the R62 side, is a charming turn of the century homestead in the tranquil surroundings of a working ostrich, alfalfa and wine farm.
This is one of those excellent-value, hospitable, owner-run guest houses for which South Africa is renowned. It also has a very good restaurant – always book in advance.
The owners, Bartel and Karin Du Toit, are the third generation of the family to live on this farm. Bartel is an expert on the ostrich industry and will gladly give you an informative tour of the farm. Karin will ensure that you are served top-class cuisine, such as delectable Karoo lamb.
La Plume is a great place to stay if you want to do the drive, but are not especially keen on all the tourist bustle of Oudtshoorn itself. It has the ostriches, but in a thoroughly rural setting.
There is a range of rooms available: two honeymoon suites, a two-bedroom family cottage, six luxury twins/doubles, one suite, and two standard doubles with shower only. Rooms are well-equipped and have air-conditioning, minibars etc.
Apart from all the fun of the farm, there is a salt water swimming pool and spacious garden. Activities include bird watching, hiking and cycling.
La Plume supports the Meerkat Magic Conservation Project at Oudtshoorn and will be pleased to book a sunrise or sunset tour to observe suricates and other wildlife at the reserve, which encompasses three floral zones.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- See some dramatic views from the top of Table Mountain
- Discover the beautiful lush scenery that is the Garden Route
- See amazing game on safari in a non Malarial private reserve
- Fully tailor made itineraries by first hand experts
- Explore Cape Town's Table Mountain, Wine lands and Cape Peninsula
- Safari in the stunning non-malarial Eastern Cape
- Follow the Garden Route to Plettenberg Bay and Knysna
- Travel with an experienced and knowledgeable professional guide
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours