Majete wildlife reserve is one of the success stories of Malawi. After decades of poaching, illegal encreoachment and hard wood logging had decimated the area, with only a few hardy species left. In 2003 African Parks, an incredibly impressive non-profit organisation in partnership with the Malawian government and resident communities, took responsibility for Majete Wildlife Reserve. Since then the park has undergone significant restoration including infrastructure and the restocking of wildlife. The reintroduction of Lions into Majete, makes it Malawi's sole official 'Big 5' protected area. While the Lion are a drawcard, there are also Leopard, Black Rhino and Elephant. Sable, Buffalo, Eland, Kudu, Suni, Klipspringer, Lichtenstein's Hartebeest and Zebra add to the mammal fauna. The bird list exceeds 300 species, notably Bateleur, Cuckoo hawk, White-backed vulture and Bohm's bee-eater.
- 'Big five' in Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Rest & relaxation beach time on the sunny shores of Lake Malawi
- An innovative, fresh Africa experience for travel gourmets
- Walking safaris
- Seek the 'Big 5' in Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Superb birding
- Lake Malawi for snorkelling, swimming, kayaking and relaxation time
- Impeccable hospitality at comfortable lodges in exceptional locations
Mkulumadzi Lodge is a wonderful example of comfort in a truly remote wilderness outpost. Accommodation is comprised of only 8 safari- style chalets, with contemporary finishes that have been locally sourced. Each has a spacious bedroom and lounge with en-suite bathrooms, inside and outside showers. The rooms all have a private viewing deck where you can relax, soak in the ambience and enjoy obser...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours