The gateway to the extraordinary country, the capital city of Lilongwe is found near the centre of the country. The two very distinct districts of Lilongwe creates an intriguing combination to explore, the bustling New Town, or Capital City, sprawling with modern buildings and a growing number of hotels while the Old Town thrives with an exciting authentic energy and is filled with popular markets, craft centres, cafes and restaurants.
In the middle, dividing the commerce and culture, is Malawi’s only nature sanctuary the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre. Home to orphaned, rescued and injured animals, the Lilongwe Wildlife Centre works hard to help the vast, and declining, wildlife and biodiversity of Malawi. The centre has won many awards, working with local people on wildlife rescue and promoting nature conservation and education. Visitors are welcomed to the beautiful 180 hectare reserve and taken on guided tours around the sanctuary and through the wilderness trails, walking amongst the many species of monkey, duiker, bush pigs and wild hyena.
Accommodation in Lilongwe is ever improving and there is a range of hotels for the discerning travellers, with a stay at the beginning or end of a trip a wonderful addition.
- Fantastic game viewing in Liwonde National Park
- Relax at the serene Lake Malawi
- Enjoy kayaking and snorkelling on the lake at your own pace
Named after the Heuglins Robin that can often be seen in the gardens of this beautiful lodge, Heuglins has 7 spacious en-suite bedrooms. Situated in a peaceful leafy suberb of Lilongwe but just minutes away from the city centre, Heuglins Lodge is the perfect stopover for guests. Facilities include a ‘help yourself’ bar, lounge with its own wildlife library, wi-fi, and swimming pool....
- Seek the 'Big 5' in Majete Wildlife Reserve
- Superb birding
- Lake Malawi for snorkelling, swimming, kayaking and relaxation time
- Impeccable hospitality at comfortable lodges in exceptional locations
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours