Built within a deep caldera-shaped canyon gauged into the high Bolivian altiplano, lofty La Paz is a city that cannot fail to impress.
Overlooked by the snow-capped Mount Illimani, ramshackle houses cling to the sides of the canyon as far as the eye can see. The city will be your main starting point for any holiday to Bolivia and is the countries political and commercial hub and has always had a dual identity with two distinct societies; the indigenous and the "Europeans" (descendants dating back to when it was once a centre of Spanish power within the Andes) which coexist in this unique geographical space.
Streets and plazas throng with pedestrians and bowler-hatted women known as cholas, dressed in wonderfully colourful attire. Not to be missed is the famous "Witches Market", a bustling indigenous market full of weird and wonderful wares from dried llama foetus', herbal potions and the offer of fortune telling services.
For a bird's eye view of the city, take to the skies on the teleferico cable car up to El Alto up on the altiplano.
To the south of the city is the eerie Moon Valley, an eroded hillside covered in tall pinnacles that create a maze of otherworldly geographical formations.
- Historic Santiago
- Intriguing La Paz
- Luna Landscape of Atacama Desert
- Unique Lake Titicaca
- Scenic train journey to Machu Picchu
- Ride the cable car for spectacular views of La Paz
- Wonder at the 275 separate falls at Iguazu
- Meander the cobbled streets of Cuzco
Hotel Presidente is situated in the heart of La Paz within close walking distance to the main square (Plaza Murillo), the government palace, cathedral and business centre.There are 103 traditional rooms and suites spread over 21 floors which provide one of the most comfortable stays in the city and some rooms boast delightful views.Hotel Presidente offers facilities such as; 24 hour room service, ...
Hotel Europa is centrally located in La Paz next door to the Tiahuanacu Museum and 1 block from El Prado.The modern hotel has 103 rooms with all modern amenities. Some also boast views of the snowy Illimani Mountain. The hotel has a piano bar, bar serving sushi, coffee shop open until late and a restaurant serving national and international cuisine.At Europa, there is also an indoor swimming pool ...
Casa Grande is a lovely concept design hotel is situated in the Zona Sur residential area of La Paz at 3200 metres altitude, which is 400 metres less than the city centre.The 65 rooms are elegantly designed with views to either the city or mountains. There is a spa and sauna, outdoor and indoor pools and a restaurant café and bar.Priding itself on its excellent service, this is the ideal pl...
La Casona is located within a colonial building in the historic city of La Paz and features the same architectural and construction styling (stone patios, terraces, the belfry and viewpoints) as that of the San Francisco Convent.Rooms are spacious and elegant featuring parquet floors and gabled roofs and some have private balconies overlooking the downtown area.Buffet breakfast is served in the re...
- Andean city of Cuzco
- Shimmering Lake Titicaca
- Majestic Mount Illimani overlooking La Paz
- Salar de Uyuni, the worlds largest salt flat
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours