Madidi National Park in north western Bolivia is one of the most bio-diverse of all the protected regions in the world. Included within its boundaries are the snowy peaks of the Cordillera Apolobamba as well as dry forest, savannahs and pampas, down to the steaming tropical jungle of the Amazon Basin. The park's 4,500 acres encompass an incredible diversity of flora and fauna.
On your holiday to Madidi National Park, a great place to stay is the Chalalan Ecolodge, one of Bolivia's most successful ecotourism projects. 5 hours from Rurrenabaque, it is accessed by dug-out canoe and was founded by the local community. Surrounded by primary forest, the thatched cabins are made from forest materials and use solar energy. The lodge sits on the edge of Chalalan Lake where activities include wildlife spotting, bird-watching, guided and self-guided trails and river and lake expeditions.
A Madidi National Park holiday is ideal for those hoping to catch a glimpse of the local wildlife. The lake is the perfect habitat for monkeys, caiman, turtles, macaws, hoatzin, and a variety of reptiles, whilst the park is said to have a healthy population of jaguar and puma.
Rurrenabaque is reached by a short flight from La Paz.
To plan your holiday to Madidi National Park, call our Latin America specialists today for more information.
Chalalan Lodge is in the heart of the Madidi National Park, one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.Designed to blend in with the surrounding environment, the ecolodge is built using traditional techniques and environmentally friendly materials.Reached by a 5-hour motorised canoe from Rurrenabaque, this small jungle lodge is nested deep in pristine forest. Learn about the local commun...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours