The pleasant colonial city of Sucre is known as "La Ciudad Blanca" (the White City) because of its whitewashed buildings and is considered by many to be the administrative capital of Bolivia, still housing the Supreme Court. It has a more relaxed atmosphere than La Paz and has only one tenth of its population. The centre of the city has been preserved as a classic Spanish colonial town with many buildings dating back to the 16th and 17th centuries such as the Casa de la Libertad, the Cathedral and one of the earliest South American universities founded in 1624.
The mining city of Potosi is about 3 hours away by road from Sucre. The discovery of silver and tin in the 16th century led to the rapid expansion of Potosi which became at one time, the largest city in the Americas. However the late 20th century collapse in these commodities has left a poor community with dwindling prospects, high in the Andes.
You’ll find that much of the city is still colonial, with twisting streets and an atmosphere of decayed grandeur in the odd great mansion. Declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO, it has an abundance of churches. Worth a visit whilst is Potosi is the Museum of the Spanish Empire's Royal Mint.
Parador Santa Maria La Real is situated in the heart of the city of Sucre.It is a beautifully restored colonial mansion with sweeping staircases, stunning original features and shady courtyards where you can enjoy a drink, a leisurely breakfast or sit and read in tranquil surroundings.There are also roof terraces for spectacular views over the city. The 23 rooms and suites are elegantly furnished ...
A well-known boutique hotel, Hostal de su Merced is situated in the heart of the Sucre’s city centre with beautiful views over the ancient ‘white city’.Occupying a magnificent converted mansion constructed in the 18th century, the hotel now offers 16 beautifully decorated rooms complemented with attentive service and traditional cuisine.The hotel features antique pieces such as w...
Coloso Hotel is situated within close walking distance to the cathedral and museums in the centre of Potosi.There are 55 comfortable rooms including; simple rooms, double rooms, junior suites and Coloso suites.The Coloso offers a restaurant serving breakfast and sandwiches in the daytime, a bar with live music, a discotheque, an indoor swimming pool, dry sauna, Wi-Fi access and central heating....
- Andean city of Cuzco
- Shimmering Lake Titicaca
- Majestic Mount Illimani overlooking La Paz
- Salar de Uyuni, the worlds largest salt flat
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours