For a first time visit to Africa with children you can’t beat South Africa, especially for younger kids. There are two outstanding non-malarial safari areas - Madikwe National Park to the northwest of Johannesburg (best for travel May-Sept) and the Eastern Cape (best for travel Oct - April).
Both these safari options work well with Cape Town and the Garden Route, offering families a huge array of activities, from penguins and monkeys to zip-lining and beaches. A self-drive trip in KwaZulu Natal is another favourite, packed with interesting things to do and see, like the historic Battlefields, wildlife safari parks and superb beaches. For a longer beach break after a safari, we recommend the family-friendly resorts of Mauritius.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours