The fourth largest of the granite islands, almost 6 km long and 3km wide, La Digue lies 7 km east of Praslin, 30 minutes by ferry. The island is distinguished by its sculpted boulders and exquisite beaches such as Anse Source d'Argent, and by its relaxed tranquillity.
La Digue has changed little. Ox-carts and bicycles are the chief modes of transport. Charming Creole houses nestle among the vegetation and beside the vanilla plantations. Copra is processed by traditional methods, employing ox-power to extract the oil. Boats are built and repaired in the old way.
Seychelles Cove swiftlets inhabit the island and La Digue Vev Reserve protects the indigenous Black paradise flycatcher and the rare Yellowfin and Star-bellied terrapin. The walk up to Nid d'Aigles, the highest point on the island, provides stunning views of La Digue and the dramatic beaches of the south, Praslin and the small islands of Les Soeurs, Ile Coco and Marianne.
Ave Maria Rocks is a noteworthy dive site with good marine life; near Marianne, you could encounter up to 30 grey reef sharks (in season); there is wonderful snorkelling off Ile Coco.
It would be worth going to the island for the crossing alone – and lots of people do take a day-trip to the island. The La Digue ferry is a magnificent vessel. It is kept in immaculate condition by its crew, aided by signs about what is required of passengers: “No Eating or Drinking” and “No High-heeled Shoes”. The ship has a full set of sails and rigging and is a wonder to behold when the sails are unfurled. The crossing is quick and easy, with the occasional flying fish shooting away off the bow wave.
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours