Príncipe is the second largest island in the archipelago and reached by a 30-minute flight north from São Tomé.
Smaller Príncipe is home to a mere 6,000 islanders. Just 19km long, its north coast is notched with castaway shores that include the perfectly curved Banana Beach, which is so definitively palm-fringed and golden it once starred in a Bacardi ad. In 2012, Príncipe was declared a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve on account of its rich biodiversity, and this is a choice spot to look for nesting turtles and also, humpba in season. As is the case with Sao Tome, visitors need to be aware that they are visiting a very poor country.
Things changed considerably for the development of sustainable, low volume tourism when South African/British philanthropist Mark Shuttleworth - who travelled into outer space in 2002 - began investing in both islands after having fallen in love with Principe, to help create a model eco-tourist destination. His highly-praised organisation HBD own the 3 properties which we tend to focus our itineraries around because as a product they are reliable and operated along very high standards.
Most visitors to the country tend to spend more time on Principe than on Sao Tome, because the former is perhaps better known for its picturesque beaches, notably Praia Boi and Praia Banana. That said, Principe also offers great hiking opportunities, rewarding birding, good snorkelling and the opportunity to delve into island culture.
- Rainforest hiking and birding in Obô Natural Park
- Remote, deserted beaches including Praia Jale and Praia Inhame in South Sao Tome
- Beach and snorkelling time in beautiful Principe
- Exploring Principe's marvellous hiking trails
Update: please note Bom Bom is undergoing refurbishment and is expected to reopen in May 2024. Set on a tiny, forested islet off the northern tip of Príncipe, Bom Bom (which means ‘Good Good’) is a place to escape the world without giving up on comfort. The resort is reached by walking across a long wooden bridge from Principe, and its 17 en-suite bungalows have a serene and comfortable style w...
This former plantation complex dates back to the start of the 20th century, when it was a splendid establishment in the heart of one of the largest cacao plantations on the islands. It has been lovingly restored by local builders using mostly recycled materials. The restaurant has a beautifully preserved veranda from where there are panoramic views. Locally- sourced and organic ingredients are use...
Roça Belo Monte Plantation is perched on a hilltop overlooking five pretty beaches, to which its guests have easy access by means of complementary transfers. This charming, Dutch-owned property has classical colonial architecture with elegant design. There is a variety of room types to choose from, all very comfortable and air-conditioned: Manor House, Luxury Suites, Plantation rooms and also, P...
Sundy Praia truly has that world class 'WOW factor': fifteen luxurious, tented villas - each of which has a freestanding granite bath tub with views into the verdant and forested grounds - are located in an idyllic, discrete location at a lovely white-sand beach. The air-conditioned villas are well concealed in lush, forest surroundings. Each tented villa is furnished with handcrafted artefacts ...
- Guided exploration in Sao Tome: delightful culture, culinary experiences, rainforest trails and quiet beaches
- Discovering the beautiful tropical rainforests along walking trails on Principe
- Turtle watching in season; great birding and good snorkelling
- A range of activities included during your time on Principe as part of the Introducing Principe special offer, and applicable to all guests staying 7 or more nights in Principe
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours