This former plantation complex dates back to the start of the 20th century, when it was a splendid establishment in the heart of one of the largest cacao plantations on the islands. It has been lovingly restored by local builders using mostly recycled materials.
The restaurant has a beautifully preserved veranda from where there are panoramic views. Locally- sourced and organic ingredients are used for meals.
There are two separate houses, Eclipse House with 6 rooms, and Cacao House, which has 9 rooms. The rooms are immaculate, with air-conditioning, safe, mini-bar and satellite TV. The property is fronted by dense forest, so only the panoramic rooms in the Eclipse House have sea views.
About 90% of the staff are locally recruited and speak only some English. The property has been described as a 'fascinating social experiment': the staff currently live in old labourers' huts repurposed as homes for them but modern housing has nearly been completed for about 70 families. Guests are able to interact with the staff as much - or as little - as desired. (Having a smattering of Portuguese is definitely helpful).
The site is about 15km from Principe airport, along a rough track. Its about 20-30 minutes walk to the sister property Sundy Praia, which has a beach that guests are welcome to relax on. (Transfers can be arranged to/from the Sundy Praia beach at 10 euro per way)
Activities on offer here include birdwatching, guided hikes, cookery courses, massages and yoga.
We revisited in March 2023 and loved it! Food is arguably the best in Principe, and sunsets are incredibly special, being preceded by the late afternoon bird chorus and the chance to watch African grey parrots, Sao Tome green pigeons, Principe starlings and other birds heading off to their roosting spots for the night. Andre Rosa, the Experiences manager and his team include 7 driver-guides who enjoy introducing guests to the island's many highlights.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Guided exploration in Sao Tome: delightful culture, culinary experiences, rainforest trails and quiet beaches
- Discovering the beautiful tropical rainforests along walking trails on Principe
- Turtle watching in season; great birding and good snorkelling
- A range of activities included during your time on Principe as part of the Introducing Principe special offer, and applicable to all guests staying 7 or more nights in Principe
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours