The Simien Mountains National Park is one of Ethiopia's many UNESCO World Heritage Site and presents some of the most dramatic scenery in Africa.
Great volcanic plugs, formed 40 million years ago, have been eroded into fantastic crags, pinnacles and flat topped mountains. These 'chess pieces of the gods' tower over precipitous gorges, river valleys and vast plains.
There are many peaks over 4000 metres. Ras Dashen, at 4620m, is the highest and the fourth highest in Africa.
The Simiens are home to the endemic Gelada or bleeding- heart monkey, Klipspringer, Rock hyrax, the endangered and range restricted Wahlia ibex and endemic birds like Thick-billed Raven, Black-headed Siskin, White-collared Pigeon, Wattled Ibis, White-billed Starling, Spot-breasted lapwing and White-backed Black tit. Lammergeyers, Ruppell's griffons and Egyptian vultures are seen soaring overhead. There is also a population of the gravely endangered Ethiopian wolf (approx 100 in May 2016) in these mountains but they are difficult to see. Pack a pair of binoculars - these will enhance chances of seeing wildlife.
This park is praised for its Afro-Alpine flora, with meadows and grasslands punctuated by Giant Lobelia and flowering Red-hot Pokers. (Best time to visit is from September onwards, after the rainy season).
Mules, muleteers, park permits, guides and provisions for expeditions are arranged in the access town of Debrak, about 100 km from Gondar.
- Lalibela's incredible rock-hewn churches
- Enchanting 17th century castles at Gondar
- Spectacular scenery in Simien Mountains
Owned by philanthropist Nick Crane, Simien Lodge is our accommodation of choice for this impressive national park, one of Ethiopia's World Heritage sites thanks to its incredible landscapes and endemic wildlife and flora.The hotel is situated right at the start of the escarpment often described as a 'single- sided Grand Canyon'. It is the continent's highest-lying hotel, at 3260m a...
This stylish property is in a 12ha site on the western edge of Ethiopia's breathtaking Simien escarpment. Its main building with bar and restaurant face east and overlook incredible cliff edges of the Simien Mountains.The rooms face lush countryside to the west.The lodge has been sustainably built, primarily with rammed earth, wood and thatch. Facilities include a restaurant, bar and large pat...
- Lake Tana's island monasteries and Blue Nile Falls
- Awe-inspiring scenery in Simien & Bale Mountains, Rift Valley Lakes
- Endemic Wolves, Geladas, Ibexes and more
- Lalibela's amazing rock-hewn churches
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours