Owned by philanthropist Nick Crane, Simien Lodge is our accommodation of choice for this impressive national park, one of Ethiopia's World Heritage sites thanks to its incredible landscapes and endemic wildlife and flora.
The hotel is situated right at the start of the escarpment often described as a 'single- sided Grand Canyon'. It is the continent's highest-lying hotel, at 3260m altitude. So do bear in mind that nights can be very chilly in autumn and winter months. (There is underfloor heating to warm the chalets or 'tukuls').
The main rooms have two comfortable extra wide single beds and the family rooms have a double bed in the main room and two singles in the separate lounge. All rooms have en-suite bathrooms.
The lodge has 10 mountain bikes for hire. Some wonderful walks can be done in the area: culture enthusiasts with a reasonable level of fitness might want to do the 5 hour walk to Saddique Amba (the walk takes two hours downhill and then three hours back up and the cliff location of this monastery is incredible). Alternatively, various circuits can be chosen from for those more keen on natural history.
Please note: the lodge is open during the rainy season (July-August) but because the solar heating doesn't function as well then (little sun), it is suited then only for hardy travellers.
It is not suitable for people who are prone to altitude sickness.
Tours staying at this accommodation
- Lake Tana's island monasteries and Blue Nile Falls
- Awe-inspiring scenery in Simien & Bale Mountains, Rift Valley Lakes
- Endemic Wolves, Geladas, Ibexes and more
- Lalibela's amazing rock-hewn churches
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours