Luna Salada Hotel (literally meaning ‘salt moon’) has to be one of the most extraordinary hotels in the world, as it is almost entirely constructed of rock salt.Overlooking the spectacular Salar de Uyuni, the floors are strewn with colourful woven rugs over rock salt gravel and much of the furniture is carved from salt, which is also mined nearby.Twenty three comfortable en suite rooms...
Cristal Samana is located close to the edge of the Salar de Uyuni in Colchani and its architecture reflects the shape of the coca leaf, sacred to the Aymara Indians of Bolivia.The hotel structure including walls, floors, furniture and even some artwork are made of rock salt and have been designed using Feng Shui principles.Solar energy supplies the hotel with heat and hot water and facilities incl...
Tayka de Piedra meaning ‘Hotel of the Rocks’ was built using volcanic rock and is situated on the Southern border the Uyuni Salt Flats in San Pedro de Quemez.This lovely hotel has been built to fit in with its beautiful surroundings, an ancient pre-Columbian village. At the Tayka de Piedra, guests can enjoy wholesome meals and comfortable rooms.A journey to this area may involve visiti...
Tayka del Desierto meaning ‘Hotel of the Deserts’ is situated 40 minutes from the Laguna Colorada in the middle of the Andean desert in an extremely remote place.At the lodge, built by 4 local families, 47 guests can be accommodated in the comfortable and simple rooms. Visitors to the area can visit the Laguna Colorada, Laguna Verde and the geothermal field of Sol de Mañana wher...
This hotel occupies a remote location in Colchani, overlooking the Salar de Uyuni.This concept hotel, which took two years to construct, has been included in ‘most unusual hotel’ lists because it has been built with salt, everything from the chairs, tables, beds and sculptures are made of this substance.The Palacio del Sal has 16 comfortable, well-heated en suite rooms constructed in a...
Bolivia Airstream Campers offer a unique way to experience the Salar de Uyuni on a two or three night tour including one night at the Luna Salada Hotel. These shiny new 'campers' cater for up to two guests, are fully equipped and include a personal chauffeur/guide. By touring Salar de Uyuni by Airstream Camper visitors will find they have more time to explore the area and salt flats, with opportu...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours