Tiny Chole Island, just twenty minutes by boat from Mafia, was once the capital of the Mafia islands.Today, the ruins of administrative buildings, warehouses and merchants’ homes are overrun with the roots of enormous fig trees. At one end of the former main street, Chole Mjini Lodge incorporates the remains of a Hindu building.AccommodationThe lodge has seven treehouses built high off the g...
Kinasi Lodge is an established lodge with a friendly, informal atmosphere, and the only swimming pool on Mafia. Built on a clifftop above Chole Bay, the lodge is set in tropical gardens, among coconut palms and cashew trees. This is a relatively inexpensive, comfortable, no-frills lodge, in a great setting and with good fresh food - perfect for people seeking a relaxing holiday with a minimum o...
Pole Pole - ‘take it easy’ in Swahli – is a small lodge that encourages you to do just that. Set in a lush tropical garden beside the sandy beach, this beach lodge offers island-style elegance at an unhurried pace for your Zanzibar holiday. Stylish ethnic décor characterises the bar, lounge and dining area, and the first-class Italian-Swahili food uses organically grown...
Ras Mbisi Lodge is the only lodge on eight kilometres of white sand beach on the west coast of Mafia.It has been sustainably built by local craftsmen using coco wood for buildings and furniture. Even the soap is made nearby, from virgin coconut oil. The staff are local people. Power is provided by a biomass gasifier.Although the emphasis is on sustainability, guests do not rough it here. The nine ...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours