Pole Pole - ‘take it easy’ in Swahli – is a small lodge that encourages you to do just that. Set in a lush tropical garden beside the sandy beach, this beach lodge offers island-style elegance at an unhurried pace for your Zanzibar holiday.
Stylish ethnic décor characterises the bar, lounge and dining area, and the first-class Italian-Swahili food uses organically grown produce and fresh fish sourced from local fishermen.
Raised on stilts to make the most of the breeze, the 7 spacious bungalows are built entirely of wood with hardwood furnishings, tasteful interiors and lovely bathrooms with old brass fittings. Doors, windows and ceiling are netted, so you can enjoy the air currents and exclude the insects. The wide verandahs, with their armchairs and Zanzibari beds, look across Chole Bay, perfect for lazy afternoons.
There is one daily boat excursion to Chole Bay included. Depending on the tides, weather and availability this would be snorkelling (including. snorkel equipment), Chole Island (excluding US$5 village levy), Kua Ruins, Marimbani Sandbank or sunset Cruise. Subject to availability, other complimentary activities such as mangrove walks, rice fields walk, bird watching, Karibuni Onlus & Utende Village Walk (excl. $5 donation to Karibuni Onlus, the NGO) may be organised.
Alternatively diving can be arranged with affiliated nearby Sea Point Dive Centre, may be best to pre-book.
The swimming pool is set apart in the sunniest stretch of Pole Pole, surrounded by gently swaying palm trees. The wooden deck is locally-sourced coconut wood with weathered parts of old Arabic sailing boats integrated into its features. A sail rigged on old masts provide partial shading to the pool and seating area at the bar which is incorporated into the surrounding lush tropical gardens.
The nearby Alasiri Spa is set in the tranquil gardens, providing message and some beauty treatments.
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours