The bohemian city of Valparaiso sits on a steep hillside overlooking the Pacific ocean and has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage site. Just a couple of hours' drive northwest of Santiago, it is well worth a visit especially when heading to the nearby Casablanca Valley; home to some of the best white wine producers in the country. This enchanting city features steep funicular railways climbing and descending the hills that are dotted with colourful houses and narrow streets. Founded in the 19th century, it has always been one of most intriguing and distinctive in the country. Stroll round the lively seaport market of Muelle Prat and explore its churches, museums and colonial buildings, some of which have now been restored and turned into cosy charming boutique hotels with terraces overlooking the sea. Long attracting writers, artists and poets; fans of Nobel prize winner; Pablo Neruda, will want to visit his favourite house, now a museum - La Sebastiana.
Casa Higueras is located in the heart of Cerro Alegre, an area of colonial and turn of the century architecture, close to El Pedral funicular.This charming carefully restored 1920s mansion has wonderful views over the bay of Valparaiso and has 20 guestrooms in an elegant contemporary style spread over four floors, some boasting private terraces.This boutique hotel has an inviting lounge, a fantast...
The Zero Hotel is a unique and modern restoration of a pretty blue colonial house- a home from home in Valparaiso.The hotel overlooks the Pacific Ocean with just nine spacious rooms and also four outdoor terraces, one with a Jacuzzi, set into the hill with panoramic views out to sea.Breakfast is taken in the Winter Garden, a conservatory looking out over the gardens and bay below and there is also...
Sat up on Cerro Alegre, Fauna Hotel in Valparaiso offers panoramic views of the bay and of the nearby colourful hills of the city.Just a short walk from the Reina Victoria funicular, the property is near to many restaurants, bars and cafes. Dating back to the 1840s, the 3 storey mansion uses organic materials such as native wood and adobe throughout yet aims to maintain its historic charm. With a ...
Originally a Victorian mansion dating back to 1923, Palacio Astoreca has been loving restored over a three year period and is now a sophisticated and elegant boutique hotel.The 23 rooms have views towards the bay or hillside. The property is located in the historic quarter of Valparaiso and is well positioned for the town’s main tourist attractions. There is a stylish piano bar, lounge and ...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours