The little port of Colonia lies on the River Plate estuary and is easily accessible from Montevideo and Buenos Aires. A visit to the historic centre of Colonia del Sacramento is like a walk back in time. Founded in 1680 by the Portuguese, this old colonial town is renowned for its cobbled, windy streets and colourful houses reminiscent of old Lisbon and is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site.
Due to its colonial origins, the city's layout is different from the majority of Uruguayan cities. Its cobbled streets and houses alternate with small bars, restaurants, art and craft shops, museums and a large yacht harbour. It has some particularly lovely plazas and small flower-filled parks and is a wonderful place to spend a few days relaxing. A stay in Colonia is easily to combine with a trip to Argentina - regular hydrofoil and ferries run from Buenos Aires to Colonia. We thoroughly recommend it.
- Cosmopolitan Buenos Aires
- Majestic Iguazu Falls
- Ethereal Patagonia
- Colonial Montevideo
Posada Plaza Mayor is situated in the heart of the old and magical city of Colonia del Sacramento. The property existed as a ranch in 1700 and as a family home in 1860 and now stands as a converted 15 room hotel. Cozy and comfortable rooms feature stone walls, air conditioning, a television and more spacious suites have a whirlpool. One of the highlights of Posada Plaza Mayor is the charming court...
Make yourself comfortable in one of the seven guestrooms, individually decorated yet all filled with brightness, whiteness, space and silence. Many rooms feature a private furnished balcony with unique views, a calm sanctuary to enjoy relaxation and wellness on your trip.Enjoy a pre dinner drink overlooking the magnificent views of the river. Spend an evening in the hotel’s restaurant, dinin...
Located within a vineyard, Narbona Wine Lodge is a beautiful boutique property surrounded by pine and eucalyptus forest, perfect for nature lovers and those seeking to sample some of Uruguay’s finest wines. The historic Narbona estate was founded in 1740 and was built on the grounds of the award winning winery. The vines produce red wine only - Tannat, Pinot Noir and Tempranillo. Guests are ...
Looking for inspiration?
You'll find expert travel guides, holiday ideas and insider tips now on the Rainbow blog
Why Choose Us?
Passionate travel experts
- We've been leading wildlife travel since our first South Africa tours over 25 years ago
- Our Travel Specialists have lived in their specialist area for years
- We work with local guides to immerse you deeper in our diverse range of experiences
Personal & tailor-made
- You'll speak to your own expert who'll share their first-hand knowledge
- We'll make your itinerary seamless with 24/7 emergency contact available
- Your Travel Specialist will listen to ensure you have the best chance of seeing the wildlife you love
Responsible by nature
- We take care to actively contribute to the conservation of environments we visit
- For select countries, we make a charitable donation on your behalf when you make your booking
- We've partnered with conservation experts and NGOs to curate responsible tours